Saltwater corrosion = can't remove part

SkemoFisher

Cadet
Hi all, I need to replace a trim cylinder on my '74 85hp Johnson. I pulled the cotter pin out of the part that holds it to the bracket.
I tried to remove the pin but it seems like it frozen from the saltwater.
Here's a picture of my dilemma. Any idea on how to remove this pin?,

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2095.jpg
    IMG_2095.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 25

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Carefully applied heat and a cotter pin extractor.
You can also try one of the many penetrants like freeze off, kroil etc.
I used this tool removing the 4 cotter pins from He11 when I replaced my steering actuator on my '88 Cobra and those weren't even corroded!

Attachments

• cotter pin extractor.jpg
    cotter pin extractor.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 12
  • steerng actuator removal.jpg
    steerng actuator removal.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
  • steering actuator intalled.jpg
    steering actuator intalled.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Corrosion products-------In the presence of salt water and oxygen that white powder forms,-----Called aluminum oxide.-----So now there is more material in there ( oxygen ) that jams things up very , very tight.-----So heat can be used to expand the aluminum to loosen up the steel pin.-----Or with a long drill you might be able to drill through the pin.----That weakens the pin.----If you use a big hammer on the pin it might mushroom.----Then you will need a mini atomic bomb to get the pin out !

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Mix ATF & Acetone it's the best penetrating oil on the planet

SkemoFisher

Cadet
Carefully applied heat and a cotter pin extractor.
You can also try one of the many penetrants like freeze off, kroil etc.
I used this tool removing the 4 cotter pins from He11 when I replaced my steering actuator on my '88 Cobra and those weren't even corroded!
I already used heat on it, no go. I'll try the freeze method, nothing to loose trying that way. Thanks

SkemoFisher

Cadet
Corrosion products-------In the presence of salt water and oxygen that white powder forms,-----Called aluminum oxide.-----So now there is more material in there ( oxygen ) that jams things up very , very tight.-----So heat can be used to expand the aluminum to loosen up the steel pin.-----Or with a long drill you might be able to drill through the pin.----That weakens the pin.----If you use a big hammer on the pin it might mushroom.----Then you will need a mini atomic bomb to get the pin out !
I tried the heat but nothing moves. I don't want to drill as I am not sure that pin is even sold anymore. I looked at the diagrams and can't find that part...

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It is just a stainless pin.-------Sold everywhere.-----Have one made !---Use a proper size bolt and cut to suit.-----No big deal in my opinion.

SkemoFisher

Cadet
It is just a stainless pin.-------Sold everywhere.-----Have one made !---Use a proper size bolt and cut to suit.-----No big deal in my opinion.
It looks like aluminum from the outside, here's a different view of the shock cylinder. The silver dot is the pin.

Attachments

• IMG_2096.jpg
    IMG_2096.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 16

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That is NOT a Trim cylinder.----If there is a hydraulic line to this item , it is a TILT ONLY cylinder.-----If there is no oil line to it it is a shock absorber.

robert graham

Admiral
A small glass jar of muriatic acid( hydrochloric) and an old toothbrush to apply to corroded area….rinse with fresh water as quickly as possible after the acid foaming action loosens the parts….after you’re done spray rinse area very well, dry with compressed air and spray entire area with white lithium grease to protect from future corrrosion….

airshot

Rear Admiral
Also try alternating between heat and cold, the expansion then contraction often breaks them free.

SkemoFisher

Cadet
Thanks to all of your suggestions. I removed the pin using the freeze off. It took half a can of spray and some pounding, now its out... I guess thats what happens when the part is almost 50yrs old.