Safest way to pay for items from private, out of state sellers ?

Ironhorse2022

Seaman Apprentice
I’m looking to buy something from a Facebook marketplace private seller. I understand there are risks of getting something “not as advertised” or nothing at all. Other than paying in advance and crossing my fingers that something good is delivered, what is the lowest risk way to pay in advance ? I’m thinking that some third party escrow service that would hold my payment until the part is received and accepted would be best for me. Although I’m not so sure a seller would be as happy about it as technically, I suppose a payment could be cancelled after the fact. I have some vague notion that PayPal works this way but a not sure. Input appreciated.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I'm not familiar with any type of escrow service.

Paypal offers some protection if you use the 'goods and services' option, but that protection is mainly for buyers, so some sellers aren't too thrilled with it (in part, because they have to pay fees and any conflict resolution favors the buyer). If you use Paypal 'friends and family' there are really no protections to either party.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Here is what I do.

I reach out to friends, family, or fellow forum members, either here, or one of the many other truck/hot rod/etc forums I am on that live near where the items is being sold. I then have someone I trust put their hands and eyeballs on the item.

then if it passes the smell test. I either pay the person directly, or paypal/venmo the friend/family/forum member to pay them.

I usually offer some extra $ for beer tolkens.

other items that can be inspected via pictures where I am OK to accept a risk, I have paid the seller extra to box up and tape on a shipping label that I have pre-paid.

ahicks

Captain
I’m looking to buy something from a Facebook marketplace private seller. I understand there are risks of getting something “not as advertised” or nothing at all. Other than paying in advance and crossing my fingers that something good is delivered, what is the lowest risk way to pay in advance ? I’m thinking that some third party escrow service that would hold my payment until the part is received and accepted would be best for me. Although I’m not so sure a seller would be as happy about it as technically, I suppose a payment could be cancelled after the fact. I have some vague notion that PayPal works this way but a not sure. Input appreciated.
I would bet not.
Regarding purchases over just a few hundred dollars, I pay in person, after it passes MY smell test....

More pictures/details from the seller is a fair request from a serious buyer...

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I have some vague notion that PayPal works this way but a not sure. Input appreciated.
I want my money back. Can I cancel a payment?

Canceling a completed payment immediately is generally not an option because the other party already has the money.
Contacting the seller is usually the best way to resolve a problem. You can find their contact details by going to your Activity and selecting the payment. They may be able to issue a refund or help with a return.
Otherwise, you can open a dispute within 180 days of the payment date.
Here's how to open a dispute on the web:
  1. Go to the Resolution Center.
  2. Click Report a Problem.
  3. Select the payment and click Continue.
  4. Select the reason for your dispute, such as:
    • I didn’t receive the item purchased.
    • The product or service is not as described.
    • I have a billing issue
  5. Add any relevant information and click Submit.
Here’s how to open a dispute on the app:
  1. Go to Recent activity and tap on the transaction you want to report.
  2. Scroll to the bottom and tap on Report a Problem.
  3. Select the type of issue you have and include any relevant details and tap Submit.
In a dispute, you can message the seller through PayPal to try to resolve any issues. If you cannot resolve the dispute, you have 20 days to escalate the dispute to a claim. In a claim, we investigate the case and decide the outcome.
You can check the progress of a dispute or claim at any time in your Resolution Center.

Chief Petty Officer
There is no safe way to buy items across the country to protect you from getting ripped off. Buyer beware. Learn to trust your gut.

The deal I made with the seller over the phone (after we agreed on a price) was I sent them half the money. They sent me a tracking number and a picture of the package at the post office. Then I sent them the other half. Everything went well.

Most people won't rip you off, but it does happen and you have to be ok with taking that risk.

stresspoint

Ensign
j buy and sell the easy way when i buy or sell privately ,
when buying or selling my process is the same when i cant touch the item in person or the person buying cant , so far it has worked well with no issues.

i call up the seller and chat , during the call i ask for specific pics and have them sent directly to me while we are on the phone chatting.
i wont sell to a person unless i do the same and i am assured that they are happy with what they are buying .
sometimes depending on the item it can take a few calls , but that is fine so long as everyone is happy that things are on the "up and up" and trust is built ." IMO, good communication is the key to a safe transaction in this day and age "".

once all the chit chat is over negotiations are made for payment and shipping time frames are arranged , ,i like to use direct bank transfer through ATM , phone bank transfers are option 2 , pay pal i will never use unless i am dealing with a business .

keep in touch with each other through the process till the goods have arrived so either party can fix any issues with shipping if a problem arises.

i have bought , sold and shipped all over the world using this process and found that it is a great way to meet people and build lasting trusting relationships with like minded people , some i have had more than a few dealings with .

a good example is a guy from Canada i sold an engine part called me up and asked if i had a specific fastener for an old motorcycle, after a long chat on the phone whilst i tore my shed apart looking for it because knew i had one somewhere, i sent it over in an envelope , free of charge as i was happy to help a fellow enthusiast out. we still chat regular and have shipped bits and pieces back and forth for about 5 years now.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Something I have used in the past was a paypal " invoice" either sent to a customer for payment or I ask the seller to send me one. The invoice just uses paypal as a middleman. I use my credit card ( one that guarentes my purchase) to pay the invoice after a long talk with the seller/ buyer, exchanging pics etc... Now if there is a legitimate problem with the sale, the credit card payment can be heldup/ canceled. The CC company gets involved to be sure everything goes correctly. This has saved me a few times from bad sellers and bad buyers. I have always been able to get my money back or item returned from a bogus buy or sale.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Something I have used in the past was a paypal " invoice" either sent to a customer for payment or I ask the seller to send me one. The invoice just uses paypal as a middleman. I use my credit card ( one that guarentes my purchase) to pay the invoice after a long talk with the seller/ buyer, exchanging pics etc... Now if there is a legitimate problem with the sale, the credit card payment can be heldup/ canceled. The CC company gets involved to be sure everything goes correctly. This has saved me a few times from bad sellers and bad buyers. I have always been able to get my money back or item returned from a bogus buy or sale.

The invoice isn't a bad idea as it might help if you need your credit card company to intervene. An invoice alone won't make any difference in Paypay if you pay using Friends and Family, though. Your only protection from Paypal is if you pay via Good and Services (aka Paypal for Business). Safest bet for you would be to pay with a credit card and use Paypal Good and Services. Then you can seek assistance/resolution from both Paypal and your credit card company.