Running without muffs

Rmvand

Recruit
Just bought a 2007 Glastron 185GT with Volvo Penta 4.3GL and was checking things out. I started engine with muffs and it started and ran but then I shut off and shut water off. I restarted a several minutes later and ran for maybe a minute or two when I realized I’d forgotten to turn water back on. Is it possible I’ve done any damage to impeller or water pump?

kenny nunez

Captain
Go ahead and remove the pump and check it. If a blade came off the impeller you want to find it.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... Yes, you may have burnt up the impeller,.....
'n the rubber parts in the exhaust system,....

Rmvand

Recruit
I started it again today, with the water on, and ran it for almost 10 minutes to see if it would overheat. Water was circulating out the drive unit like normal and it never got above 150 degrees on the temp gauge. I’d think that’s a good sign.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to iboats

On the Muffs or in the water? Running on the Muffs and Hose means nothing, the Raw Water Pump is there for the ride.
Take the Pump apart and replace the impeller. On Volvos it is generally easy to replace the pump, unless you have to tear half the boat apart to access its location.

PaulinSWFL

Seaman Apprentice
Maybe you got lucky but probably not. The impeller is cheap and not very difficult to replace.
You didn't mention if it overheated???

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I don't think Volvo Impellers are Inexpensive, but they are cheaper than an Engine