Roller To Bunk Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvdkea

Cadet
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum.

I have a tandem axel Load Rite trailer that was originally purchased with roller configuration. I am going to be converting it to bunks. I purchased all the required hardware from Load Rite. I have details of the bunk layout and measurements from trailer that holds my exact boat. 2004 CrownLine 270 CR. It looks like a pretty straight forward process. I will be using 4X6 as the bunks and target bunks towards the front of the trailer. I have a couple questions.

1. Is it ok to have the bunks go out past the rear most crossmember?
2. Any guidance\suggestion on what to be aware of during the conversion process?

Thank you in advance.

dvdkea

Cadet
I have always had bunk trailers and they work well for me. I have had nothing but problems with the roller setup since I got the boat.

airshot

Rear Admiral
I have always prefered roller trailers myself, but to each his own.. One thing is to be sure the bunks extend out beyond the transom. On any trailer the rear support needs to extend as far back as possible. On my roller trailer, the rear rollers are right at the transom as this is the heaviest part of your boat and requires that support !

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum.

I have a tandem axel Load Rite trailer that was originally purchased with roller configuration. I am going to be converting it to bunks. I purchased all the required hardware from Load Rite. I have details of the bunk layout and measurements from trailer that holds my exact boat. 2004 CrownLine 270 CR. It looks like a pretty straight forward process. I will be using 4X6 as the bunks and target bunks towards the front of the trailer. I have a couple questions.

1. Is it ok to have the bunks go out past the rear most crossmember?
2. Any guidance\suggestion on what to be aware of during the conversion process?

Thank you in advance.
1) Depends on what kind of Hardware supports the Bunks. On my trailer, I added some supports to beef up the bunks, as these weren't on the Spring Axle versions. Any unsupported Bunk in a location where there is substantial Weight, is really not doing anything, as the wood will bend. Extending the Bunks beyond the Transom, rarely does anything positive, exception being, it might place the Weight closer to where the bunk is supported, if the bunks expent past their support/mountingSX195#10b.jpg
2) Insure there is adequate Clearance between the Hull and Fenders, since the boat will likely be lower, clearance from the Crossmembers. Winch Height, and Location might also change

Last edited:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I have always had bunk trailers and they work well for me. I have had nothing but problems with the roller setup since I got the boat.
50+ years of owning a boat. EVERY bunk trailer I ever owned was converted to rollers before even launching the boat.

Maybe you need to explain the problems. Sounds like you have either a maintenance or setup problem.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I've Rollers and Bunks. I prefer Rollers, and Lots of them. I would reconfigure my Roller Trailers(EZLoader) to have as many Rollers I as could be put on, especially at the Stern and under the Engine, utilizing additional Hardware from EZLoader. With those Trailers, I only needed to get the Trailer close enough to where the Bow was, and the Boat was recoverable, a few times the Trailer Tires didn't even get wet

img431d.jpg

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I've Rollers and Bunks. I prefer Rollers, and Lots of them. I would reconfigure my Roller Trailers(EZLoader) to have as many Rollers I as could be put on, especially at the Stern and under the Engine, utilizing additional Hardware from EZLoader. With those Trailers, I only needed to get the Trailer close enough to where the Bow was, and the Boat was recoverable, a few times the Trailer Tires didn't even get wet
Way back when, I believe EZLoader was one of the first to make all roller trailers. If you look up the old specs, they were designed to carry 125# per roller.

They got copied and some of the competitors reduced the number of rollers to offer a lower price. THAT's what did it....dents in hulls, etc. The cheepies gave rollers a bad name.

My current ride carries 85# per roller. BOY, does that trailer work well. If I crawl underneath I can manually turn every roller.

dvdkea

Cadet
50+ years of owning a boat. EVERY bunk trailer I ever owned was converted to rollers before even launching the boat.

Maybe you need to explain the problems. Sounds like you have either a maintenance or setup problem.
I have never been able to get the boat to sit straight or level and the trailer. But the bigger problem to me is how high the boat sits on the trailer. There is at least 6 inches between the top of the fender and the bottom of the boat. Everything is set to the lowest settings. With the current hardware, it can't go any lower.

dvdkea

Cadet
Way back when, I believe EZLoader was one of the first to make all roller trailers. If you look up the old specs, they were designed to carry 125# per roller.

They got copied and some of the competitors reduced the number of rollers to offer a lower price. THAT's what did it....dents in hulls, etc. The cheepies gave rollers a bad name.

My current ride carries 85# per roller. BOY, does that trailer work well. If I crawl underneath I can manually turn every roller.
My current setup has 80 rollers. I'm not sure on the weight distribution.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I have never been able to get the boat to sit straight or level and the trailer. But the bigger problem to me is how high the boat sits on the trailer. There is at least 6 inches between the top of the fender and the bottom of the boat. Everything is set to the lowest settings. With the current hardware, it can't go any lower.
My current boat sits on a Karavan trailer. A bunk trailer came with the boat. I paid extra to have the bunks removed and replaced with 4 Karavan roller assemblies. Height was an issue since the windshield needed to clear the garage door opening. I made careful measurements. Bunks or rollers, the height was exactly the same. Obviously, that particular trailer was designed to go either way.

The adjustment of the rollers is such that they sit right up against the boat's bottom strakes. It goes on straight and level every time. The hull sits about an inch above the fenders.

In your case, possible moving the roller assemblies out further might lower the hull, and aligning with strakes may help loading. But without a pic its hard to tell. More likely that your trailer is simply not the best suited for your boat.

When you install the bunks, be sure to add EZslides. You'll be glad you did.

matt167

Captain
I bought my venture bunk trailer brand new and it’s absolutely the best to launch and retrieve. I back it in until the bunks are just above the water to retrieve and pull it on. Always straight. Water is knee high or so doing that but it works perfectly

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I bought my venture bunk trailer brand new and it’s absolutely the best to launch and retrieve. I back it in until the bunks are just above the water to retrieve and pull it on. Always straight. Water is knee high or so doing that but it works perfectly
Do you mean that you are walking in water up to your knees?

Baylinerchuck

Commander
My current setup has 80 rollers. I'm not sure on the weight distribution.
80 rollers doesn’t sound like a wobble roller setup. My 20’ Chaparral has 32 rollers on an EZ Loader trailer. My feet stay dry, lol.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
yup, because I float the boat most of the way on. It's easy and quick
I realize everybody has their own way and like that way, and more power to them. But getting wet feet would be a deal breaker for me.

matt167

Captain
I realize everybody has their own way and like that way, and more power to them. But getting wet feet would be a deal breaker for me.
I kinda find it refreshing. The reason the trailer works is because the bunks catch the strakes and bring it straight on. I probably don’t need to run it so deep

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I kinda find it refreshing. The reason the trailer works is because the bunks catch the strakes and bring it straight on. I probably don’t need to run it so deep
I also get refreshed when handling my jetski, but then again its usually 80 degree weather and I'm wet already. Then again, it's only 10' long and there are limited options.

OTOH, when retrieving my fishing boat in early November up here in the north having to use hip boots would be a hassle.

matt167

Captain
I also get refreshed when handling my jetski, but then again its usually 80 degree weather and I'm wet already. Then again, it's only 10' long and there are limited options.

OTOH, when retrieving my fishing boat in early November up here in the north having to use hip boots would be a hassle.
I do boat until November. It is a little chilly then. I might try running the trailer a little more shallow next time and see what it does.

dvdkea

Cadet
I did the conversion, and it came out great. Loading my boat is much easier and it goes on straight every time. I am going to sell the roller assemblies. They are all galvanized and would make a really nice setup for someone who wants rollers. Everything is included. just bolt them on to the cross bars of your trailer. I attached a picture of the setup before I removed them all. Yes they are wobble rollers.

Attachments

• Rollers.jpg
    Rollers.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 17
Status
Not open for further replies.