Rodbolt, purpose of the motor mounted neutral switch 1998 Suzuki DT 150

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Can someone tell me what the motor mounted neutral shift switch on a Suzuki 1998 DT150 motor is for? What does it change or effect?

The 1997 does not have it and the manual does not have anything in it about it that I have found.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Re: Rodbolt, purpose of the motor mounted neutral switch 1998 Suzuki DT 150

Rodbolt, can you remember back when you were a Suzuki guy and come up with the effect the motor mounted neutral shift switch had on the motor controls?
I helped a friend change one of his 1997 DT 150s with a 1998 and the electronic ignition is totally different from the 1997, and I have not found anything in the Suzuki manual he has to tell me what it does.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

best I recall its a shift cut switch, but I would have to research it a bit.
try triggering it manually while the engine is idling in gear with the propellor off for safty and see if it causes a misfire.
most modern large engines use a back draft cut clutch dog and require some type of device to reduce load on the propshft when pulling out of an in gear position.
however let me try to find the correct manual and see.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Thanks Rodbolt, I will pass that along.
Let me know if you find out anything else about it.
Seems like a couple of the cylinder heads were running cool to the touch while idling in neutral and I was wondering if the switch did anything to them at idle. Cylinder heads checked even and balanced at speed with a temperature gun

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

like I say, its speculation.
most carbed and EFI engines dont drop cylinders at a nutral idle, HPDI is about the only one I know that uses a switch to do that.
the CCS used on the 3.1L EFI yamaha used RPM detect and did it regaurdless of gear selection.
mercury used a detect switch to modify timing they also used a cutout switch on some models.
best way is to either discuss it with a trusted suzuki tech or test it yourself.
is the switch closed in gear? open in gear? does the shift slide move ? what affect does triggering it manually produce?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

Thanks again,
All I know for now is that it is pushed in while in neutral and pops out in forward or reverse.
So, I will have to check on all that.

I told him it would be best if he pulled it over to a Suzuki dealer and have everything checked out to make sure the motor is good to go.