Reverse Lock Mechanism Help: VP 280

adamkat22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey all I’m trying to assess if the shift lock mechanism on a VP 280 is in working condition while the boat is on the hard. So far I’m super confused. Here’s a few questions:
-with the boat in Forward (aka lock collar not engaged) I should be able to pull the outdrive back and it will lift up, correct? Right now when I lift up the drive, the retaining pawls hit the tilt adjustment rod and it locks. I assume I need to adjust the thrust rod so that the drive lifts up freely in this scenario?
-the tips of my retaining pawls show evidence of wear and impact (see pic below). I’m having trouble interpreting if just the pawls themselves can be easily replaced?
-I’m wondering if there is something in my latch mechanism that is stuck in the wrong position. I’ve attached a picture of what it looks like with the lock collar disengaged (forward) and then the second picture is what the lock collar looks like engaged (reverse). Does that seem correct? To me it looks locked in both situations

22F3FC5C-4C4F-4F3A-B13B-4E33019E8C0E.jpeg
1722AA1E-15B1-4B38-8CA9-24152E755B2A.jpeg
E006C7F7-49A2-4481-B062-D93171262B05.jpegThanks for any help!

captmello

Captain
the pawls will catch in forward but should release if you hit something. so it sounds like it's working correctly. as long as it doesn't bounce up in reverse and it releases correctly when you tilt up, you're good to go.

adamkat22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Capt...the drive was kicking up in reverse last year. The tricky part is...I noticed it kicking up while troubleshooting other shifting issues. A year later (and with the boat out of the water) I'm learning more about how the reverse lock mechanism works, and I'm wondering if:

a) it was kicking up because reverse lock mech wasn't working correctly (ie pawls are too worn out etc)
b) it was kicking up because I was trouble shooting with some of the linkages disconnected and the reverse lock mech wasn't even engaged.

If the answer is "B" then I'm probably good to go. If the answer is "A" then I was hoping to assess it before it went in the water so I wouldn't have to haul it in the event that it is indeed broken. just to be extra safe can those pawls be swapped out without pulling the drive and replacing the whole reverse lock mechanism?

thanks!

captmello

Captain
to me, the pawl in your pic looks fine. I've never replaced mine so I can't say whether or not you can replace them without pulling the whole assembly (which is quite involved since the assembly is held by the pivot tube).
regardless of gear, can you physically pull up on the outdrive? the pawls should catch as long as the tilt mechanism is fully retracted and not engaging the rod from the reverse lock assembly.
I trailered my boat so I could work on it between outings. once I got it working correctly, it worked fine for years.
I've read in the past that the locking part that engages in reverse may not even be necessary since the pawls should grab without the lock.

adamkat22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes the pawls catch in all gears. I haven’t tried yanking super hard. Just lifted enough to see if they catch. I guess without putting it in the water I can’t really know if they catch enough to hold it in place while in reverse ?

adamkat22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I thought of one other thing that changed prior to this problem starting. I had done some transom work and when I put the new transom shield in I didn’t re-install the trim motor because it was broken. I can’t imagine that has anything to do with the issue, but I figured it was worth mentioning in case the old trim motor (even though it was burnt out) was somehow keeping the drive from kicking up…)

kenny nunez

Captain
If the jack screw lifting rod is touching the stainless pin that protrudes from the suspension yoke that will prevent the drive from being locked in reverse.
You need to get a genuine Volvo parts and service manual.
In the picture “R” I think the coil springs are missing that fit under the square nut on both sides.