Replacing wood with aluminum

NathanY

Commander
Anyone ever replace a wood floor with aluminum in an aluminum boat? What size did you use? Pecentage wise, how much more was it? How has it held up?

In my other post I was asking about plywood, but thinking about an aluminum floor like in the newer boats. I have a center console, so I'm not without a boat. Cost isn't really an issue, because I'm not in a hurry.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I've heard lots of guys ask that very question but don't recall seeing anyone ever using AL to deck their boat. It's heavy if thick enough to not sag and then very expensive. It's a skillet in the hot sun and will certainly make lots of vibration noise.

Mr.Stickney

Petty Officer 3rd Class
+1 for Watermann.

The constant rattling would drive me batty. You could put some isolators/dampener material at the mounting points. But my guess would be dollar for dollar/pound for pound , wood and glass is the way to go.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Or just wood and epoxy, spar or similar sealer/paint. Glass hasnt been used in any projects I can recall other then ClassicCats..

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
as a walking surface, it would depend on the spacing of the support ribs. however you could get down to 3/16" if you have enough support below. cost wise,just google the cost of a sheet of 7 gauge 5052 aluminum or 1/4" 5052 Aluminum. in high enough volume you will pay $3.80 per pound for sheeting (that would be about $315 for 7 gauge and $438 for 1/4") that will buy you a lot of 1/2" plywood and WOG's old timmers wood sealer.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
NathanY;n10065614}an aluminum floor like in the newer boats... Cost isn't really an issue said:
Interesting idea. What newer boats have them? I'd like to check them out. How does no hurry make cost not an issue?

jbcurt00

Staff member
No hurry means you can wait and watch for a deal. Then hope you come across a deal

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I don't recall seeing any aluminum boats with aluminum floors in them. I would think that it would be very slick if not treated with some type of skid proof material and it is going to be darned expensive, I can understand cost not being a concern, I know I can buy just about anything I was as well, but that sounds like a waste of money to me, plywood is inexpensive and quite durable if treated correctly.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I've done it a few times, and aluminum diamond plate is an upgrade on boats built around here. There are many myths spread by speculators as to what an alumuinum floor would be like, but I'll give you my experience with it.

It's not hot, it can get warm in the sun, but it's never been an issue. It can be cold in the winter, but since I wear shoes or boots it's a not a problem, if you go boating barefoot in the winter you have other things to work out.

Too much glare, well, when new some types have a high gloss finish, this goes away after a short time on it's own, or you can scrub it with an abrasive, either way it's a short term annoyance.

Slippery, nope, rather good traction actually, even non diamond plate isn't as bad as you would think.

It does need extra support, the thinner you go the more support it needs. I've put it over wood and aluminum supports, either way works well.

The best method of holding it in place is Velcro, the peel and stick stuff works very well, just buy a roll on eBay.

The cost is higher, but it's a one time expense, you will never need to replace it.

Since you will go as thin as possible it's easy to cut and handle.

Mounted correctly there is no rattling. Again, Velrco is your friend.

Very easy to clean

I wouldn't hesitate to put an aluminum floor in a fishing or work boat, but for the bikini clad crowd it may not be the surface of choice.

NathanY

Commander
Interesting idea. What newer boats have them? I'd like to check them out. How does no hurry make cost not an issue?
All the new aluminum boats I've looked at have aluminum floors. I bought a Lowe in 07 that was all aluminum floors. Structural foam keeps it from rattling and adds flotation and rigidity to the hull.
Smokercraft, alumacraft, lowe, tracker, etc. etc.. all have aluminum floors in their welded boats, but dont know about riveted boats

NathanY

Commander
No hurry means that I can save up to buy the aluminum because I have another boat to use.

NathanY

Commander
I don't recall seeing any aluminum boats with aluminum floors in them. I would think that it would be very slick if not treated with some type of skid proof material

The ones that I looked at have either rhino liner type coating or carpet.

NathanY

Commander
I went to Bass Pro and Cabela's and looked at them. I live in Fort Worth TX.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Cabela's does not carry them here where I live and we don't have a Bass Pro, we do have a lot of boat stores as we live around the largest high mountain fresh water lake west of the Mississippi, lots of boat in my area.

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yeah I've not seen the whole boat done in AL decking either, our new work boat is a heavy double hulled all welded North River Jet and it has wood decking covered with vinyl and the sides are carpet. The short open bow area is an all AL tub with drains for obvious reasons, jet boats take a bunch of water over the bow in rough water conditions.