Replacing ignition on old 165hp GM inline-6

buglebee

Cadet
Hello,
I am interested in replacing the ignition on my old 165hp GM inline 6 engine as my points have failed on a me a few times now (corrosion) and I'm ready for a more reliable system.

So I have a few questions:

1) I could just replace the points, but is there anything else I may as well replace while I'm redoing stuff? Coil, distributor, etc.? My coil definitely looks old but it works, and my distributor looks pretty nice and works when the point aren't corroded and gross.

2) I want to make sure I get the right system. It looks like pertronix ignition II is what's recommended for these old GMs, is that still the case? I also see kits from Sierra, or someone on some other forum mentioned that you could cross reference the part from other GM motors and find one at a pick and pull. Anyone know the correct part number?

3) Anything else I should know about this?

Thanks!

kenny nunez

Captain
The 18-5519 from sierra would be my choice.
It comes with a coil and spark plug wires.
Your original distributor by now has a worn out bushing and no lower bushing. The lower distributor shaft bushing in the block above the oil pump should be worn out also unless the engine was recently rebuilt.
With the new distributor the engine will perform much better and idle smoother.

ROY WILLIAMS

Petty Officer 1st Class
my 1978 MCM470 Mercrusier 170HP 4cyl the distributor pts of the 1992 is done !
Now the Pertronix Model #1146 decades ....2023

so my engine is the plastic sheet top on ,,, the no running .... no running engine ...also the no engine is the plastic sheet carb ...

Last edited:

Scott06

Vice Admiral
X2 on Kenny’s post a delco est kit is the hot ticket for electronic conversion with an oem quality product.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
sorry is the Sierra kit and a delco est kit the same thing?
Yes essentially.

Delco est was made by delco and there are many copies of it. Both mercruiser and volvo used the est for many oem igntion systems .

you have a straight 6 not a V6 right? I that kit is actually for a V6.…

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I personally would just spend the 3 minutes every spring to run a points file thru the contacts and set the dwell and timing. The points should last 15-20 years with this simple maintenance unless your condenser is bad.

A new set of bushings in the current distributor will allow it to last another 50 years. Just $13 from Napa

I would stay away from pertronix as my experience has been 100% failure rate

The Delco EST is a good choice, however I have also experienced issues with the cap retention

Scott06

Vice Admiral
ah yeah I have the straight 6
You may have to use the conversion kit as I am not finding a Delco EST kit ( or at least one that is not listed as obsolete) or a similar sierra kit for any of the chevy straight sixes that were used from 60's through early 80's.

My grandfather had a 150 hp version in his '66 Penn Yann back inok the day.

I'll look for a kit but may not be able to find one due to age. I would swear that Delco used to make one for the 6 but all I can find listed is the 3.0/L4

If you cruise you tube Uncle Tonys garage did a video on the chit quality of points being sold these days. I know on the GTO forum I am on the guys go nuts for NOS points from back in the day due to the longevity

kenny nunez

Captain
There was a HEI that came on the last production inline 6 truck and other GMs that used the inline 6 engines. They require a solid 12 volts along with a 12gauge wire. It has a tachometer output also.

buglebee

Cadet
I personally would just spend the 3 minutes every spring to run a points file thru the contacts and set the dwell and timing. The points should last 15-20 years with this simple maintenance unless your condenser is bad.

A new set of bushings in the current distributor will allow it to last another 50 years. Just $13 from Napa

I would stay away from pertronix as my experience has been 100% failure rate

The Delco EST is a good choice, however I have also experienced issues with the cap retention
ok, thanks. Seems like it's not clear whether they even make a kit for inline6 motors.

At least for the time being, it seems like new points/condenser might be a reasonable fix.... get them new, have them set and then I'll at least haves some peace of mind for the foreseeable future. I'm also interested in a new coil.

Are these things pretty universal? I see a bunch of points/condenser packs and coils that look like they're from '71 GM/mercruiser packages... mine is a '69, but I can't see any differences.

Thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I wouldn't waste money on a coil until yours actually dies

ROY WILLIAMS

Petty Officer 1st Class
ok, thanks. Seems like it's not clear whether they even make a kit for inline6 motors.

At least for the time being, it seems like new points/condenser might be a reasonable fix.... get them new, have them set and then I'll at least haves some peace of mind for the foreseeable future. I'm also interested in a new coil.

Are these things pretty universal? I see a bunch of points/condenser packs and coils that look like they're from '71 GM/mercruiser packages... mine is a '69, but I can't see any differences.

Thanks
yes that cond /[pts the engine 1971 .....and the ignition coil .... the primary ohms 1.5 !!!!!!!!!!!!! also the timing 4btdc 750RPM ... then the gasoline 92 octane !
my 1978 engine is the 1992 of that Pertronix 1146A !!!!!
troubleshooting of the manual ....