Replaceing the pull rope 9.9

Harry B.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I started putting it back together and the pinion spins clockwise turning the power head counter clockwise.
Have I gone brain dead or am I missing something?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Replaceing the pull rope 9.9

Wait---are you sure? If the pinion turns the wrong direction, it will not spin up into the flywheel. Did you put on the pinion upside down? No, you can't because there is a flange on the bottom. Same thing if you wound on the rope in the wrong direction: Pinion will not rise into the flywheel.
Well, I'm puzzled.

Attach some photos and please give the year of the engine.

Harry B.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wait---are you sure? If the pinion turns the wrong direction, it will not spin up into the flywheel. Did you put on the pinion upside down? No, you can't because there is a flange on the bottom. Same thing if you wound on the rope in the wrong direction: Pinion will not rise into the flywheel.
Well, I'm puzzled.

Attach some photos and please give the year of the engine.

Hopefully you'll be able to see that it rotates clockwise up turning the motor counterclockwise. It trips me out.

Attachments

• S4010044.jpg
    S4010044.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 0
  • S4010045.jpg
    S4010045.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 0

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

102_6762.jpg102_6761.jpg102_6760.jpg

Well, did you actually have this on the engine? The rope is wound in the wrong direction. It should pass behind the pulley as shown in these photos.

Harry B.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My plan was to mount the recoil on the engine, wind the spring and then thread the rope through the pulley.
When I did a dry run and was spinning the pinion up to get it clear in my mind which way things had to go, it turned the engine backwards, so that's where I stopped. The rope should go in the spool clockwise? And the spring should be wound counter clockwise.....correct?

I really hate recoil starters, I really, really do.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Photos are almost self explanatory. Looking down, the rope is wound on the spool counterclockwise. It passes out behind it and goes around the back of the small idler pulley. To rewind the spring, you must thread in the top an allen head bolt--10-24 with a nut to jam it solid. Then, using an allen wrench, wind the spring counterclocwise until there is enough tension to fully retract the rope but not so much that you can not pull the full length of it.