Repairing My Dock

RyalsCreek

Cadet
I'm replacing an area on my dock where the 2x4 boards have rotted. The area needing repair is about 10 x 20 feet and is above the water. I am on a tidal creek with salt/brackish water. Do I need to use marine grade lumber or will treated wood be sufficient? It is an older dock and I'm basically just patching it until it needs to be completely redone, probably in about 5 more years, I've even considered using untreated scraps, but don't want to compromise on safety. Any information or ideas are appreciated.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Repairing My Dock

Use pressure treated and fastener's designed for the new pt wood and you will be fine.

62 ROYAL SCOTT

Petty Officer 1st Class

HELL-O RyalsCreek I HAVE BUILT many docks, treated wood will work for a few years send me a PM' IF U NEED ANY MORE INFO.:)

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member

I'm replacing an area on my dock where the 2x4 boards have rotted. The area needing repair is about 10 x 20 feet and is above the water. I am on a tidal creek with salt/brackish water. Do I need to use marine grade lumber or will treated wood be sufficient? It is an older dock and I'm basically just patching it until it needs to be completely redone, probably in about 5 more years, I've even considered using untreated scraps, but don't want to compromise on safety. Any information or ideas are appreciated.

Ayuh,... For only 5 years, framing lumber will work,....
Saltwater pickles wood, where freshwater rots it quicker...
PT lumber will work also,...
I'd use galvanized hardware with whatever lumber ya use...

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

I'm facing some dock repairs in my future as well. I've noticed, though that when most of the folks on our lake do repairs they don't us PT. I wonder if it's an issue with the chemicals leeching into the water they're concerned about. Must ask someone sometime but so far in our area it seems to be about 90 percent non PT.:confused:

haulnazz15

Captain

You might see if there are any specific regulations about PT-wood. I know on our home lake, we aren't allowed to use treated wood on the docks.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

We always used cedar. Expensive, but naturally rot and bug resistant.

DuckHunterJon

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Also, use galv or stainless fasteners if using Cedar.