Repair and Moving '57 Chris Craft from Oregon to Texas

WestTXSpur

Recruit
Hi Yall,
My Grandfather has a 57 Chris Craft Capri that is currently in Oregon that is need of some external/wood repair. Both him and I live in Texas, and I was hoping to bring it down here (West Texas specifically) so that I can repair it back to its former glory. It used to be in perfect condition a couple years ago however was left to the elements and thus some of the varnish and paint has chipped as well as a few cracks in the wood. I've heard that its best to let it accumulate for a year or so when moved south so that the wood can expand/contract enough to adhere to the weather and humidity. Is this true? Being in West Texas, the humidity is significantly less when compared to the PNW. I am 23 and have no experience with boat restoration but I am extremely handy and have done other minor restoration projects. Any help or advice on the situation would be much appreciated as I'm not quite sure where to start.

I have attached a few photos of what it used to look like as well as some the damage that needs to be repaired.

Attachments

• Boat (1).jpg
    Boat (1).jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 11
  • Boat (2).jpg
    Boat (2).jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 13
  • Boat (3).jpg
    Boat (3).jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 12
  • Boat (4).jpg
    Boat (4).jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 12
  • Boat (5).jpg
    Boat (5).jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 12
  • Boat (6).jpg
    Boat (6).jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 12

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There must be a --Chriscraft ----Owners group.-----Or Antique boat club online.-----Many of those folks are very helpful.---Boat museum in Clayton , New York is also a source.----Was boat properly winterized ?

flashback

Captain
That's a sweet old boat and well worth the effort but it will be a project that you'll be working on for a while, I don't think you need to worry about humidity, it will acclimate long before you finish...

WestTXSpur

Recruit
There must be a --Chriscraft ----Owners group.-----Or Antique boat club online.-----Many of those folks are very helpful.---Boat museum in Clayton , New York is also a source.----Was boat properly winterized ?
Thank you for the suggestions, and yes it was every year

WestTXSpur

Recruit
That's a sweet old boat and well worth the effort but it will be a project that you'll be working on for a while, I don't think you need to worry about humidity, it will acclimate long before you finish...
Yes that makes sense. Thank you for the advice

stresspoint

Ensign
very nice , well worth whatever efforts you put into it .

i have always wanted a wood boat ,i would like to restore a classic one day but my wood skills a re 0 , so that said ,i cant help much on wood boat but im in for a look to see how this turns out and learn along the way.

what motor is in the boat ?.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Welcome ! Nice CC ! Capri?
If original bottom it may swell up enough to slow any leaks . My experience is limited to just my current CC project . If the crack is just localized I believe you might can do a Dutchman’s patch ? A lot of YouTube stuff out there good and bad . I guess your just gunna have to dig in and see what you have . I’m assuming your gunna revarnish ?