Red cylinder under dash

Earl D

Cadet
Having a wiring problem and looked under the dash of a pre-owned 1989 Bass Tracker Tournament TXS. There is a red cylinder object with about a 2 inch diameter and about 3 inches long which is secured under the dash but is not connected to anything. Red and black wires coming out of the cylinder is just dangling. Anyone know what this object is and what it is for? Thanks in advance.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
may be a capacitor to keep electronics running when you start the motor.

without pics, Im just guessing

04fxdwgi25

Chief Petty Officer
You have a picture of it? At this point, I would just be guessing as to what it is and it's function.

Earl D

Cadet
You have a picture of it? At this point, I would just be guessing as to what it is and it's function.
Sorry, I should have thought of that. The white part is a band that goes around the cylinder and allows the cylinder to the fastened to the piece of wood to secure it.

Attachments

• cylinder.jpg
    cylinder.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
looks like the end cap is a cover. could be a cigarette lighter socket.

Earl D

Cadet
looks like the end cap is a cover. could be a cigarette lighter socket.
No, that isn't it. The cylinder is solid and to get to it you'd have to get on your back and scoot under the console. Since it is not connected to anything I don't think it is essential. Someone obviously removed it from the system by disconnecting it. I am just curious what it is since it was put into the boat's wiring.