Re usable K cups

matt167

Captain
I have a keurig with the dual pot/ k cup system and k cups are getting expensive. I bought one of the replacement chambers that has a screw cap and a basket filter and it works well. I want to have multiple basket filters so that I can pre prep coffee filters to drop in in a Tupperware. does anyone know where to find them? Or if the baskets with the snap door actually work? The ones that fit in the k cup chamber

sangerwaker

Commander
We use the snap cover ones almost daily at home (2 users 3-4 days per week). No issues.

Costco is pretty cheap for their pods. 120 on sale now for $30. Just bought a box last night.

62Scout

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a few of the style that resemble normal K cups, but with the mesh filter, and tops that snap on. Only issue I've ever had with them is that they tend to be sensitive to over filling, and they a bit messy to clean if you don't use the paper filters with the top flap.

The other alternative is getting empty disposable cups and heat seal lids, where you're basically making your own disposable K cups. Downside is that they're relatively expensive when you're only buying 50 or 100 at a time. Upside is you can prefill a bunch with no concerns of the grounds going stale while sitting for a while. I bought a box of 2,000 a while ago, and then filled a bunch that I leave at the office.

matt167

Captain
I didn’t know sealable k cup’s existed. I get 100 pods for $27 at BJs, but I find traditional Folgers with the reusable tastes better.. thanks guys. Think I’ll try both ideas

flashback

Captain
I had to look up K cup, I live under a rock. We just have a Mr coffee and I grind the beans in the morning and I figure that is about as fresh as you get if you like the taste of fresh ground..

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I look at the 3 dead Keurig's that plugged up that I have yet to run vinegar thru them as I pours half a pot of coffee from my cuisinart auto-grind into my travel mug every morning .......

62Scout

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The Keurigs are great for the office, more so now that most of us are remote workers. The coffee the company buys is something that resembles liquefied road tar, and there's not much point in brewing a full bottle of the stuff when it's just one or two of us. I also don't often go in straight from home, so I'd carrying a bag of grounds with me all the time just in case I might go in for a few hours.

Orrrr...I just leave a couple dozen pods in my office. Or when having guests over - Mom prefers her Snickers coffee - I just keep a box of pods on hand.

Or that single 12oz on my run out the door in the morning...But when it comes time for an all night wrenching session? Yep, out comes the Bunn 12 cup filled with my favorite Maple Bourbon coffee 😁

64osby

Admiral
I look at the 3 dead Keurig's that plugged up that I have yet to run vinegar thru them as I pours half a pot of coffee from my cuisinart auto-grind into my travel mug every morning .......
Run a bent out paper clip up the output of the Keurig. Works wonders, just don't cut your finger.

62Scout

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Run a bent out paper clip up the output of the Keurig. Works wonders, just don't cut your finger.
Not if it's from hard water....the boiler will be full of mineral deposits.

I have to strip mine down yearly for a deep cleaning, and there's always at least an inch of minerals sitting in the bottom of the boiler, due to my exceptionally hard desert well water.

I learned early on not to leave it on and hot 24/7 😂

airshot

Rear Admiral
Be aware of health issues with Keurig coffee pots. Due to the fact that they cant be deep cleaned easily, most folks don't, and many health issues have come about. Our family found out the hard way, all Keurig stuff has been tossed. We have turned to coffee makers that can be deep cleaned easily, no K cups for our family..

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Be aware of health issues with Keurig coffee pots. Due to the fact that they cant be deep cleaned easily, most folks don't, and many health issues have come about. Our family found out the hard way, all Keurig stuff has been tossed. We have turned to coffee makers that can be deep cleaned easily, no K cups for our family..
I've had the same one since they first came out, many yrs ago. Works fine and have never cleaned it out......Yikes!

airshot

Rear Admiral
If you ever do clean it out, you might not want to see what comes out !!