Questions about Breaking in a rebuilt Motor

jimmybillson

Cadet
My 60 HP Evinrude 2 cycle Engine was just rebuilt when I bought it. It only had 4 hours on engine. I was told it is recommended to double the oil for the first 10 hours of operations. Does this sound right?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Officially it depends on the year of the engine. For many years OMC did say to double the oil for the first 10 hrs. Then sometime in the 1970s it dropped the requirement. Whether they reinstated it prior to introducing VRO I can't recall.
Myself, I would double the oil.
Is this your first time breaking in an outboard?

interalian

Commander
If it's a VRO, I'd mix the gas 50:1 until sure the VRO is working properly (mark the tank level and be sure it's going down with hours of use). If not a VRO, I'm on the fence. I did a rebuild last year and ran the first tank at about 32:1, then 50:1 after. Be sure to observe throttle and RPM restrictions along with varying the RPMs/load as well. Avoid lugging or extended WOT operation for the first 10 hours. The original manual said just to run 50:1 ('82 V4).

jimmybillson

Cadet
yes this is my first time breaking in an engine. Not sure what VRO is. Do you mean where the oil is added through the motor instead of mixing in with the gas?

if so, that was taken off when engine was rebuilt. Oil is added through gas

interalian

Commander
Double up the oil if it makes you feel better. About the only bad thing might be fouled plugs. At 4 hours already, it's time to crack it open a bit.