Question if a ball hone is needed

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Back when I was checking the old/original two stroke piston rings for the gap in the cylinder after the block was checked to be in spec by machine shop and they de-glazed it with cross hatching, the OEM ones had a very small surface area to measure end gap.

That was a problem because it made measuring the gap difficult, and light marks were made on the cylinder wall by the feeler gauge. I can still see the cross hatching marks where the mark is when looking at it from an angle, it just made a line with darker grey color.

Do I need to go and buy a ball hone of the correct size with 320 grit and re-do the 45 degree cross hatching on the cylinder for the new piston kits?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I do not believe you can damage a cylinder wall by using feeler gauges to check ring end gap !

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Don’t use a Ball Hone on 2 Stroke, Balls and Ports do not interact well together.

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Don’t use a Ball Hone on 2 Stroke, Balls and Ports do not interact well together.

To be more specific if I wasn't, a flex hone in the shape of a cylinder with small balls on it.

I am nearly certain it was the regular blade/stone style of hone that was detrimental/dangerous for use on two stroke ports because the stones could catch on the port edges.

I would like some source references for why something like a flex hone is a bad idea for two stroke cylinders.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
If you think the Regular Hones could catch on the Ports, then you really need to exam the Flex/Ball

Edit: the Balls and the Ports will chew each other up

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If there are defects in the cylinder then the ball hone will hide them.----Using a ball hone makes no sense to me whatsoever !

F_R

Supreme Mariner
To me, a "Flex hone" is one where the straight stones are held out against the cylinder wall by a spring. As contrasted by an adjustable hone where the stones are held in a straight arrangement, as contrasted by a ball hone which is like a giant bottle brush with ball-type stones.

A ''flex hone's" stones can catch in the big bypass holes in a loop-charged cylinder.