Question about using epoxy resin with 1708 cloth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Question about using epoxy resin with 1708 cloth?

Mark

I agree with you, even if a person uses "some" care in doing the repair it will last many years with either type of resin and the type or resin has less to do with the success than the care taken in doing it. I try to keep it simple and low in cost, since while most people think they?ll keep these boats forever, they typically move on to another boat in a couple of years.

erikgreen

Captain

you must really like painting

Paul :)

I like working with my hands, of course. But steel doesn't require more or less paint than other hull types that are coated. One of the major advantages of fiberglass is that it doesn't need coating, true.

But properly coated steel with well maintained anodes will last many, many years without a recoat. It won't rot, it is stronger than almost any other hull material, it's easily repairable, and when the boat is finally scrapped it can be recycled rather than stuck in a landfill.

Yeah, I like it for bigger boats :)

Erik

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Billp

Please site where it says in the Modren Plastics Handbook to add ten times the normal amount of catalyst to resin, or that gel coat should be 40, 50 or 60 mils thick to help prevent cracking, or any of the other things you claim. I must have missed these chapters.

BillP

Captain

Billp

Please site where it says in the Modren Plastics Handbook to add ten times the normal amount of catalyst to resin, or that gel coat should be 40, 50 or 60 mils thick to help prevent cracking, or any of the other things you claim. I must have missed these chapters.[/QUOTE

Funny.

Never said 10x catalyst is a written specs anywhere...because I've never seen it. I've previously posted when it's done without causing problems. You reject this as fact but it's easily verified if YOU want to start calling poly surfboard mfg shops and ask how they do hot coats for sanding. Giving you phone numbers to my pals would be an unfair advantage for me wouldn't it? That's why I didn't phone your pals for your info. But I'll ask you this again for the 20th time...what % of strength is lost for every 1% of over spec catalyst? Does 5% over catalyst make a layup .001% or 20% weaker? How much is the lifespan compromised? Does it turn yellow, pink, blue? I can't find anything written that MEASURES progressive damage for over catalyst in poly.

Again, reference what I said accurately. Gelcoat...never said 50-60 mils for anything. I said too thin or too thick will crack and 40 mils is max seen in production.

Since were're swapping information...you advise to thin poly with acetone and say styrene isn't a poly resin thinner. Do not confuse this with the reduction of styrene use by big companies to stay under the annual usage fine levels by EPA. I say styrene is the industry accepted poly thinner and my ref is...google styrene thinner.

bp

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

You appear to be rewriting both my past statements and yours form previous threads now , so I'm done.

BillP

Captain

You appear to be rewriting both my past statements and yours form previous threads now , so I'm done.

No problem but you are the one who brought up past messages and grossly misrepresented what I said, not me. In a case like that I'm going to respond to clarifiy my position so there is no misunderstanding. Posting empiricle experience, data sources and references is soooo much better in resolving questional topics than going personal. That's why I ask for it.

bp

erikgreen

Captain

Mods, I think we've pretty much finished off this thread.

I'd like to request that it be locked, but not deleted. There's some good info here, but I don't see much more useful discussion happening here......

Just a suggestion,

Erik

Luposian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I hate to resurrect such an old thread, but... what fiberglass products for fiberglass boat restoration, are fully (100%) compatible (or meant/intended to be used) with epoxy resin? Are there different KINDS of 1708? Is there only ONE kind of 1708? Same goes for other different fiberglass products. What is the difference between "mat", "cloth", "biaxial", "woven", etc.?

Status
Not open for further replies.