Question about part on my 6hp 1967 Johnson (CD-24S)

BillyB11

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all, I am currently restoring a 6hp Johnson and it is my first time working on an engine of any sort. I have a quick question about the function of a part and question as to whether it needs replacing. I have attached a picture for reference. The parts I am wondering about are the black rubberish roller that is connected to the throttle and the spring that connects it. In the picture I have uploaded, the spring is already removed, but I animated it in yellow. From what I can tell from researching, I believe this assembly might be the governor, but I am not confident in that. If anyone could give me some guidance on the purpose / function of this part I would really appreciate it. Furthermore, the rubber roller that i described has a bit of an indentation on one side that looks like wear from being pressed against the metal. Is this something i need to worry about?

I apologize in advance for butchered / incorrect terminology and unclear explanations.

Thanks!
Billy

Attachments

• photo280907.jpg
    photo280907.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 0

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
The roller rides on the cam,you will see when you open the throttle.As the cam opens the throttle, the timing advances as the timing plate is moved by the tiller handle.The throttle should be just starting to open as the roller gets centered on the mark on the cam.If it is not so you can adjust the cam.Look up the parts list on this site for the proper terminology.Test for spark with an adjustable open air spark tester and it should jump 1/4" with a blue spark and a snap on both cyls.,then put it in a barrel with the water level above the entire water pump assembly and see how she runs if you determine good spark.Look up leeroys ramblings and it has a really good tutorial on your motor.We will help you with whatever repairs you want to get into but get started with spark test. Also a compression test is good,but if it runs for you then you have compression.Only run it as long as you can hold your hand on the head without it being too hot to the touch,just warm.Impeller job will be something you want to research and complete before laking it.

Last edited:

BillyB11

Seaman Apprentice
bspeth, thank you very much for your response. I have already for spark and it looked good. Just to give more background, I am taking apart almost the entire thing. Although I'm sure not necessary, I am doing the whole thing so I can really learn about motors. I am stopping short of taking out the pistons / rings unless necessary, but I will be replacing all gaskets , seals, etc. I am not sure how far I am going to go on the lower unit, thus I have been focusing on the top part. I definitely will be replcaing the impeller and the gaskets and seals around it, changing the gearbox oil, etc. I am sure I will have plenty more questions along the way and always appreciate when you guys respond.

Thanks a lot,
Billy

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I just got done with one a week ago,exactly the job you are speaking of.I will help all I can.I think you need to post your compression numbers before you go the whole nine here. Just reseal the lower with a kit and inspect the gears,be fn careful not to break the bearing housing under the water pump plate and gasket. If I knew how stuck the fr was I would have pounded it out from under.