Purchased a Sears Ted Williams 5.5 today

Webekin

Seaman
Found in pawn shop, still has fuel in it. Owner started it before he pawned it.

Any sources for owners manual?

I would appreciate any advise on starting. I have a 3.5 Gamegetter also so that manual might help me. Webekin

Last edited by a moderator:

Webekin

Seaman
I have 2 Stihl 1 gallon mix 2 cycle bottles, thinking g of mixing with a gallon of fuel to create 32:1 mix. Any thoughts? Webekin

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
what does your motor need? 24:1, 32:1 or 50:1. I suggest you mix what is needed.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
24:1, so 5.33 ounces of oil per gallon

Webekin

Seaman
Ok, I purchased the outboard oil, and mixed 4 OZ. to a gallon. I can add another 1`.33 tomorrow. Using this mix, I placed the unit in the tub of water, covering the C plate and water inlet. Used my Dewalt cordless drill and turned it over. It would start and run for 2-3 seconds on it's own when full choked. Then die.
So I'm encouraged.
Dropped the bowl and the float is black with crud. The needle valve looks new. The inside of the bowl is clean, and the carb looks clean as well, Currently soaking the float in vinegar. Found a carb kit on Amazon for under $18.00. Any additional thoughts ? Webekin

Webekin

Seaman
Ok, I have cleaned the carb. Reinstalled the carb, and tried to start it. Almost the same results, might not run as long as before cleaning. Removed the carb, all the way down to the intake, it is very clean all the way around, tried to get it to run again, same oh same oh. So have the carb kit ordered and do the rebuild, upon arrival. Fuel runs clean and free from the tank, the plugs seem to be wet. Yet I suppose it may not be getting enough fuel. When I dropped the bowl the gasket appeared to be covering a portion of the hole moves fuel from the inlet to the needle valve. cleaned the gasket and did not help. Patience, patience, patience. Webekin

brim_buster

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Make sure fuel pump diaphragm is installed correctly. Its the pink rubber piece inserted in the face of the carb.

matt167

Captain
That is a techumseh power products engine on that. Nothing special. 24:1 is based on using SAE 30w motor oil. If you are using regular 2 stroke oil there is another mix. Pretty sure it’s 32:1. Keep in mind that it is air cooled.