Proper way to check compression ?

Ironhorse2022

Seaman Apprentice
What is the proper way to check compression on a 2 stroke ? I presume with a warm engine, crank 5 seconds, dry and wet (like a car engine) but don’t know for sure. Also, many used engines won’t or can’t be started so checking compression cold is the only option. How big an error will checking cold cause ? I searched this topic without luck. Thanks.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Normally done COLD !!----Plugs out.----Pull it over with a recoil till gauge stops going up.-----No need to open throttle on a 2 stroke.

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
the thing with compression testing is that it is only a comparison , test it any way that suits you but be consistent and have a full charged battery for each cylinder tested .

i like to test room temperature on all engines that way i know there is consistency in the test.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Ground the Spark Plug Wires, there a chance that some fuel vapour could be discharged from the Plug Holes and if there is a Spark

so

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ground the Spark Plug Wires, there a chance that some fuel vapour could be discharged from the Plug Holes and if there is a Spark
hope im not hijacking the thread.
if i dont have a few beefy wires lying around to ground all plugs, will removing the lanyard from the kill switch work as well ?

about to do a compression test myself tomorrow....

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
hope im not hijacking the thread.
if i dont have a few beefy wires lying around to ground all plugs, will removing the lanyard from the kill switch work as well ?

about to do a compression test myself tomorrow....
It should. More than one Skipper has had a No Start problem, that was caused by Kill Switch activation

so

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Normally done COLD !!----Plugs out.----Pull it over with a recoil till gauge stops going up.-----No need to open throttle on a 2 stroke.
maybe a dumb question, but what is the reason for not needing wot on a 2 stroke?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Intake and exhaust ports are WIDE OPEN at the bottom of the stroke.----Cylinder is full of air then.-----Compression does not start till piston closes exhaust ports.-----When you understand how things work it is much easier to trouble shoot !!