Propane

alldodge

Staff member
Have found HD5 is the highest quality level for propane
I own my tank and can buy from anyone

Have also found that Butane can be mixed with Propane without issues. OK, but if mixed Butane has less BTU's then propane and is not good in colder temps.

A TN provider is selling propane for .60 less then KY. Yeah good for me, but last time I bought from this provider gas did not last as long

KY provider said all good but TN provider mixes Butane with their gas

Question: Butane does mix with propane, how is a user able to determine "IF" Butane is mixed? Does provider have to tell if asked?

Renken2000Classic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Maybe all "butane" isn't equal, but to the best of my knowledge, butane has more btu/cu ft than propane. Like 3,200 vs 2,500.

I know nothing about "mixed gases" (but it's a thing), or how the propane companies sell the product (might look up "temperature compensation" just for fun), but I wouldn't think you'd want to run an overly rich mixture through your (furnace?). That sounds more expensive though, doesn't it? So they're not likely to be giving potential heat away.

alldodge

Staff member
Different then my research. Butane has less BTU then propane and also cost less. It's a win for propane Co to mix, just less heat for same cost

airshot

Rear Admiral
Been using propane for many years, also own my own tanks, but I have found that it doesn't take much change in weather to cause a big difference in usage!! I buy from the lowest bidder in my area, my two tanks last me all year with a small reserve in case of extreme use. There are a few different ways propane can be made, the HD5 is supposed to be the best as it supposedly comes directly from the oil refining process, but ....have never really noticed a big difference in how it burns. Like everything in life, it is a crap shoot to get what you think your getting !!

dolluper

Captain
Propane expands in warmer temperatures as to the reason tank is not completely filled in warmer temperatures... Now in colder temperatures it can be filled more and usage is greater also if using for heating...Could be just a false sense as to times when tank is so called filled .

airshot

Rear Admiral
Under law, commercial sales cannot fill above 85%, with 80% the recomended...if it expands in the hot days it just blows out the popit valve and you loose it !! I never fill mine in the summer, wait until fall, usually get a better price in october/ november. When you buy over 1000 gallons at one time you can get a nice discount if you shop and own your own tanks. At least this is how it works in my area. I typically buy 1050 to 1200 gallons at a time to fill my two tanks, this lasts one full year. On average, I save from 200-400 $$ each time over a rental tank. Doesn't take long to pay for your tanks !!