projects other than boats

matt167

Captain
yours is exciting in its own way...... like cruising down the highway and it just quitting.... :D.... just kidding. dont you have an old T-bird as well?
Any old ford I have with EEC IV controls, I keep a spare TFI in the glove box. I sold my last one a couple years ago. Never needed a spare though but always hear the stories

southkogs

Staff member
yours is exciting in its own way...... like cruising down the highway and it just quitting.... :D.... just kidding.
LOL ... no, you're not! That's funny.

But I do like the convertible. Never owned one before.
dont you have an old T-bird as well?
I looked at a Tbird, but opted out. My FIL has a whole stable of stuff that we play with: '49 Dodge Wayfairer, '53 Ford Custom, '60 Edsel Ranger, '63 Comet Convertible, '64 Mustang Convertible ... Miata(s), Fiero ... and more ...

I drive 'em all and help work on them. A little over half of the total barn is drive ready.

southkogs

Staff member
Any old ford I have with EEC IV controls, I keep a spare TFI in the glove box. I sold my last one a couple years ago. Never needed a spare though but always hear the stories
Scott was referencing my timing belt going on the Mustang. I had driven it over a 1,000 miles that weekend, and pulling into Nashville it just konked. I did all sorts of testing and chasing - even changed the fuel pump because of some of the codes I was getting. I was bouncind some ideas off Scott, and he suggested I re-look at the timing belt. It looked like it was fine, but when we spun the engine a second set of eyes proved that the cam was in fact not turning. The belt had stripped it's teeth down in the bottom.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Got my Meziere water pump model. checking fitment now.

still running into performance damper issues. trying to find a damper for the LS4 is difficult.

next big hurdle is finding a good rack and pinion unit for the car. looking for a front steer, preferably a variable ratio, however need 5.5" of throw with 2.5 turns lock-to-lock.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
96 Dodge Intrepid is a front steer, power CTO (center take off) with 6.995" of stroke. Would require a PS pump.

Subaru has a 5.25" stroke with electric rack

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Looks like the 2011-2013 Jeep/Durango has a remote electric pump that can be used for driving a hydraulic rack

Looks like Volvo s40-s70 from 2006-2013 also have remote pumps

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Measuring the ecotec bell housing and the jeep bell housing, transmission input shaft, etc.

The ecotec bell housing is 8.63", the jeep is 6.81" Need to add a 1.81" spacer .

Could always use the extra room after the spacer to add a stator and add magnets to the flywheel and forego the alternator

Anyone know of a large diameter (about 10") 60 amp stator assembly?

stresspoint

Ensign
Got my Meziere water pump model. checking fitment now.

still running into performance damper issues. trying to find a damper for the LS4 is difficult.

next big hurdle is finding a good rack and pinion unit for the car. looking for a front steer, preferably a variable ratio, however need 5.5" of throw with 2.5 turns lock-to-lock.
if you were to go 2.7 there are a few more options in front mount racks..

in regards yo the thread , my project car is a 06 HSV WL Holden Caprice
with a 3.6 Alloytec V6.
lots of mods have been done by me and the PO ,
the little LY7 V6 had some timing chain issues when i bought the car so that gave me a reason to mod that motor .
mods included : heads , camshafts ,ECU and much more.WP_20190913_14_44_36_Pro.jpgWP_20190913_14_44_36_Pro.jpg

Scott Danforth

Staff member
looked going Alloytec/high-value V6. however the motor is a lot taller than the V8, and almost as long.

the LNF 4-banger I have is even taller than the V8 and just as wide and about 2" longer.

looked at Toyota/Lexus 4.0 V8, the volvo V8, etc. keep coming back to the LS4 with custom accessory drive.

looking at rotor/stator assemblies this AM. motorcycle are too small. outboards are 10X the price of industrial/mobile off-highway and come out of the same plants. the miller welding diesel unit may be OK (only $30)

some of the kohler ones may work.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Some correspondence with Meziere on the remote pump I wanted to use. Would require a 6-1/4" or larger pulley to not over speed

Looked at the crank mounted Johnson pumps (SPX Flow). The max temp is way lower than 200F

May need to go with an electric Meziere pump. Which would not work with a stator charge system

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Still looking to see if a stator charge system can be adapted.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Just for comparison

The LY7 /LXF (High Feature / Alloytec 60 degree V6)

Weight- 362#
bottom of oilpan to tallest point on manifold 30"
Width 23" to outside of heads 25" to outside of manifolds (LLT engine)
Length from back of block to front of damper 20.5" add a few inches for the high pressure pump out the backside!
Crank CL to bottom of pan is almost 9"

A VERY quick measurement and probably NOT accurate of the L32 3.4L SFI V6 is
24" tall overall
7 1/2" from crank CL to the bottom of the oil pan.

LS4
Weight 374
26.5" width over exhaust manifolds
23.5" from back of block to front of damper
~26" from oil pan to top of carburetor
~ 7" from crank CL to bottom of oil pan

Scott Danforth

Staff member
There is the short lived VW W8.

dimensions
mass: 190 kg (419 lb), length: 420 mm (16.5 in) length, width: 710 mm (28.0 in), height: 683 mm (26.9 in)

Power density isn't there. But it is short as can be

Expensive to run, and would require a turbo

1705878668605.png

Not as cool as the W12 or W16.

1705878772718.png

Scott Danforth

Staff member
car project is put on hold a bit. building the wife a new closet, then building the shed later this spring.

getting 200 board feet of hickory amd 6 panels of 1/4" hickory plywood to make a custom closet for the wife.

regarding the fiat, the stator idea is all but dead as there is no response from any of the custom winders.

the other idea I have. there is a pic of an LS7 conversion. the accessories run off an idler that acts like a jack shaft. eyeballing the diameters, it appears to be a 40% reduction in speed. this appears to be what I need to slow the water pump and AC compressor down.

flashback

Captain
Wow you sure make a shift in another direction. Understand the plywood but 200 board of plank is a question.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Quick view. do not have the adjustable shelves in it yet.

Have a new planer coming this week.

Inspiration comes from this. Wife saw it and said, that is how she wants the whole closet.

1707166478408.png

1707166382806.png
1707166334055.png

southkogs

Staff member
That's cool.

I was playing with some stuff like that a couple years ago: started monkeying around with making furniture DIY with plywood and then played with some shelf ideas.

flashback

Captain
Very nice, ! Almost a shame that it's in the closet, your wife will see it every day and that's special.!

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Design is almost finished. Looking at 310 board feet of hickory at $5/bdft