Power/towing question

phillip5630

Recruit
New to being a boat owner and purchased a ‘11 stingray 195ls last yr w/4.3 mercruiser. Took it out a few times late summer and had no issues pulling three kids on a 3person tube. Had boat detailed and winterized. Finally able to take out for first time this yr a couple weeks ago and never able to pull tube or plane out. Just bogged and had to weave side to side….
When everyone was n boat i had no issues planing and getting to full throttle. Any ideas why engine bogged down?

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
what exactly was done during winterization? Did they pull the plugs and fog? A 6 cylinder that is running on 5 can sound surprisingly smooth but will lack power.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I agree when not under load it can fool you. Possibly some of the winterization material has fouled one or more plugs. Pull them and see if any are wet after running the engine for a few minutes.

Drcoffee

Petty Officer 1st Class
Did you use ethanol gas and did you stabilize the fuel before the winter? Sounds like a fuel issue.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
What I read is that everything was OK except when you tried the tube. If it were gas or a plug, it would have bogged down all the time.

Same kids?, Same tube?

Alumarine

Captain
When you say no trouble getting to full throttle what are your rev's at full throttle?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
how old is the fuel?
when was the last time the fuel filter was replaced and it contents inspected?
carb or fuel injection? what is your fuel pressure?
what is your compression?