Power pack killer

larky

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have put two new power packs on my 1971 evinrude 50hp. I need a fresh brain to help me troubleshoot. I have done my best to check wiring for shorts, but I am obviously missing something. I have done ohm checks on the stator, trigger coil, the ignition coils, all seem to check out. I’ve had this motor for about 15 years and it is now giving me trouble. I am willing to start fresh and recheck anything that is suggested. Any help is greatly appreciated

,Matt

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Tough with old wires because the coloring has faded or is gone. Do your best to locate each wire and make sure there going to the right place. Tough but can be done.

If you can't find a friend and do it together.

One things for sure, don't give up on the old girl because I'm sure she's giving you all she has.

larky

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the replies. I had started checking the kill wire last night, but had to stop and go pick up the kids. I will continue the process tonight. “Inductive kickback”. I assume that is caused by firing the coils when they have no path to ground. I have learned my lesson not to do that. I killed a cdi on my old John Deere snowmobile once. Its always expensive. I now have a spark tester and will use that anytime I don’t have the wires hook to the plugs. But that does have me thinking that I might need new coils.