Parts availiability ??

airshot

Rear Admiral
Getting things around for my first launch of the season as soon as the weather cooperates. Thought I would get a spare set of spark plugs to have on hand for that just in case moment. NGK BUHW-2. Plugs....well it seems we have a spark plug shortage, at least in my area. Best to check your area !!! My local marine dealer says his plug order has been on backorder since last season !! No delivery date yet given for this season...checked local auto parts stores....limited NGK supplies, none at West Marine... Checked internet...all back ordered....did find some " Quicksilver" plugs with the NGK part number, placed the order but quantities limited !!!! Will have to see. If you need anything boat related, start shopping...buy it when you find it...sparkplugs have almost trippled in price from a few years ago. Local dealer tells me big outboards, over 200 hp have a 54 week plus delivery, after deposit !! Small outboards 25 and below are out 12-16 week delivery with deposit. Others vary from 16-40 weeks...Really???

robert graham

Admiral
Buy a $15 Harbor Freight Spark Plug Cleaner/Sandblaster…..keeps carbon off plugs and like new…..I’m still running the original plugs in my 1999 C90 Yamaha…..they don’t wear out….

alldodge

Staff member
I looked at NGK and they show the plug as discontinued
Looked it up on crossreference and shows NGK 5626

Comparing the 2 on NGK site look the same to me, same heat rage and everything

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Your post piqued my interest. I looked up the different plugs needed for my four 4-stroke outboards and all are readily available on Ebay. I looked up your NGK number as well, and they are also available, even with free shipping.

You might not like the price though.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Your post piqued my interest. I looked up the different plugs needed for my four 4-stroke outboards and all are readily available on Ebay. I looked up your NGK number as well, and they are also available, even with free shipping.

You might not like the price though.
Your right about the rediculous price, however...try ordering them. Once they get your payment, you will get a notice the items are on back order, or just ran out of stock on that item !! Glad I have a CC that I can stop payment on....I have placed 6 orders in the past day...all canceled due to lack of advertised product!!
I don't need the plugs right now, just spares, was just shocked at the number on back order... Couple of the big marinas near Port Clinton Ohio, ( home of the Walleye) doesn't have them either, most are recomending the " Champion" crossover plug. Never had sucess with champions in two stroke motors..

airshot

Rear Admiral
I looked at NGK and they show the plug as discontinued
Looked it up on crossreference and shows NGK 5626

Comparing the 2 on NGK site look the same to me, same heat rage and everything
Yes...that is the " part number" for that model BUHW-2 plug... However when you try to order that part number you get " out of stock"... I have found a Quicksilver plug supposedly from Mercury that has the same model number, can only guess it is made by NGK, just surprised that dealer stock is so scarce this time of year!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Your right about the rediculous price, however...try ordering them. Once they get your payment, you will get a notice the items are on back order, or just ran out of stock on that item !! Glad I have a CC that I can stop payment on....I have placed 6 orders in the past day...all canceled due to lack of advertised product!!
I don't need the plugs right now, just spares, was just shocked at the number on back order... Couple of the big marinas near Port Clinton Ohio, ( home of the Walleye) doesn't have them either, most are recomending the " Champion" crossover plug. Never had sucess with champions in two stroke motors..
I have always had good luck with ebay. The ones i searched all said how many they had in stock. One of the vendors indicated that he had 7 sets of 4 in stock.

I've heard a lot of complaints about Champions, though i never personally had an issue that I knew of. Three of my 4 recent 4-stroke Mercs show NGK as the replacement, while the 4th one lists a Champion.

I have 4 Mercury dealers within a 15 minute drive from my house. I never buy parts from them. Gear oil, engine oil, filters, etc, etc are all cheaper on ebay. Yeah, I know I'm driving them out of business, but they are driving me to the poorhouse.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Actually, my local marina has competative prices on parts...labor no...parts yes! The parts counter fellow used to own an outboard repair shop for many years and is willing to share his experiences and knowledge. I have also had good sucess with E bay, but these spark plug issues have been everywhere I have looked. Will see what these Quicksilver plugs are like, just hard to believe NGK plugs are so scarce. Went into West Marine and they had tables covered with spark plugs all on closeout...they are not going to handle plugs anymore due to difficulty of keeping them in stock...so they say !!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Actually, my local marina has competative prices on parts...labor no...parts yes! The parts counter fellow used to own an outboard repair shop for many years and is willing to share his experiences and knowledge. I have also had good sucess with E bay, but these spark plug issues have been everywhere I have looked. Will see what these Quicksilver plugs are like, just hard to believe NGK plugs are so scarce. Went into West Marine and they had tables covered with spark plugs all on closeout...they are not going to handle plugs anymore due to difficulty of keeping them in stock...so they say !!
The manager at my local West Marine was a great guy. If I needed a part and WM didn't carry it, he would special order it directly from the manufacturer.

He retired. Not they have a woman in charge who gives you an ugly stare once you walk in the door. All during covid she refused to wear a mask even though it was mandated. (I wanted her masked just so I didn't see her face). Anywhoot, the shelves are all half bare now. Her answer is she can't get it, although WM website shows it in stock.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
What Motor? there is a service bulletin for that plug. BP8H-N-10 is a replacement for the BUHW. That is for the 18/20/25 and 100/115 2+2 motors. Or the champion QL78v is replacement for the BUHW

Last edited:

airshot

Rear Admiral
What Motor? there is a service bulletin for that plug. BP8H-N-10 is a replacement for the BUHW. That is for the 18/20/25 and 100/115 2+2 motors. Or the champion QL78v is replacement for the BUHW
Thanks....1992 40 hp two stroke classic four cylinder, motor looks showroom new and runs like it. Just want to have spares on hand just in case. Is there a difference between the BUHW and the BUHW-2 ?? I see both listed but my manual calls for the -2...

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like it’s an issue with a particular plug.

Walked in off the street and bought a set of NGK platinums for the car the other day.

Got Amazon next day delivery last week on six Champion QL77JC4 plugs for my boat

airshot

Rear Admiral
Just to let everyone know....supposedly the NGK BUHW2 plug is discontinued....I found some "Quicksilver" plugs with the same number. Recieved them today, they arrived in a spark plug box that on 2 sides says NGK and on the other two sides says "Quicksilver" both with same number. So is NGK only making them for Quicksilver?? Supposedly they have all the Quicksilver plugs you want, but no one actually has any NGK of that model number plug.....beginning to sound like politics to this old boy...oh well....

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Just to let everyone know....supposedly the NGK BUHW2 plug is discontinued....I found some "Quicksilver" plugs with the same number. Recieved them today, they arrived in a spark plug box that on 2 sides says NGK and on the other two sides says "Quicksilver" both with same number. So is NGK only making them for Quicksilver?? Supposedly they have all the Quicksilver plugs you want, but no one actually has any NGK of that model number plug.....beginning to sound like politics to this old boy...oh well....
Yep….sounds like the market dried up and it’s no longer profitable for NGK to continue production w/o Mercury’s “support”

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The Champion L-78V was the original plug specified by mercury in the early 70s (or earlier) for some of their IL engines. It was superseded by the BUHW-2. The L-78V still looks to be available. You could also likely use the Champion L-76V, as it is real close to the BUHW-2.

There was also a AC plug crossover. Not sure of the exact number likely VF-440 with a suffix

airshot

Rear Admiral
The Champion L-78V was the original plug specified by mercury in the early 70s (or earlier) for some of their IL engines. It was superseded by the BUHW-2. The L-78V still looks to be available. You could also likely use the Champion L-76V, as it is real close to the BUHW-2.

There was also a AC plug crossover. Not sure of the exact number likely VF-440 with a suffix
Never had any luck with Champion plugs in 2 stroke engines. Way back in my younger days we used Champions in our old OMC motors, but everything newer than the 80's in two strokes seems to eat champions for lunch. I could get years from NGK's but would go thru a couple sets of Champions every year. Have had good luck with AC Delco but NGK has been the best for me..

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Your rant is an old wives' tale. Champion Spark Plugs were and are good spark plugs. They have been a leading brand forever. The 50's and newer Johnnyrudes specified them 70's and later Mercs specified them as well. even today, as such, Johnnyrude owners swear by them. I have found no difference in my engines...Your experience may vary, and I expect is in the minority..

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
It's the Ford Chevy thing
Mother, apple pie and Chevrolet.

Found on road dead; Fix or repair daily.

It's all about what your father liked, brand loyalty you know.

A spark plug either works or it doesn't. It either lasts long or lasts short. It meets the Owner's Manual or it doesn't.

Personally I Prefer Smith & Wesson, but I carry a Ruger. Spark plugs are of no consequence.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Your rant is an old wives' tale. Champion Spark Plugs were and are good spark plugs. They have been a leading brand forever. The 50's and newer Johnnyrudes specified them 70's and later Mercs specified them as well. even today, as such, Johnnyrude owners swear by them. I have found no difference in my engines...Your experience may vary, and I expect is in the minority..
Not saying Champion were bad, only have issues with them in newer two stroke engines!! My ATV' s will burn one out in a day yet NGK last all season.. Show me a two stroke motorcycle rider that uses Champion plugs!!
Champions are great in 4 stroke motors and they were great in older OMC's, but mine and most of those from local marinas experience with Champions in newer two stroke engines have not been great. Stats dont lie, our local marine supply shops sell 10x more NGK for two stroke engines than any other plugs !!