Outboard engine on odd shaped transom

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There may be a significant expense in haulout / yard / mechanic service fees.-----

Sailor96

Seaman Apprentice
Yes, end of april she was already scheduled to get hauled out the water for painting and antifouling, as you can see on the picture the hull hasnt been done in a while. Has been nearly 5 years since she´ve seen dry dock. The only thing left to check is prop and prop shaft, and luckily, she was already planned to go on dry dock, now she might be on dry dock just a little longer than planned but that´s okay. One guy told me to just keep going on half throttle when it doesnt vibrate but I don´t want to break anything more by doing that.

Sailor96

Seaman Apprentice
Hi there, it has been a while.
I finally mounted a bracket for the engine to be mounted on and bought a 25hp engine.

The bracket is allowed up to 25pk and 55kg of weight.
I estimate the mercury engine to be about 40KG so im not worried about the bracket.

Currrently only 4 out of 8 bolts are bolted but before the engine comes on I mount all 8.

On the inside, I mounted a few mm thic steel plate between the bolts and the transom to give it extra support I suppose.

What I am worried about is, will my transom be able to hold the weight of the engine?

Attachments

• 20230813_182546.jpg
    20230813_182546.jpg
    796.6 KB · Views: 10

flashback

Captain
That would depend on how well you backed up the engine mount. Looks good from here though I believe you will have quite a long reach to raise and lower it...

Sailor96

Seaman Apprentice
Yeah the reach is long, I want to extend the part so the engine can be lowered and brought back from deck without hanging over the sides.
That would depend on how well you backed up the engine mount. Looks good from here though I believe you will have quite a long reach to raise and lower it...

Is there anything else I can do to fortify the mount?

Sailor96

Seaman Apprentice
I hope it is. If it isn't Im in big trouble haha.

I also had to sacrifice the swimming ladder as it was in the way for the outboard. If I fall overboard, I will not be able to get back on the boat right now unless I'm towing my dinghy. I saw these rope ladders with wooden steps that can be rolled up. Do you think I can get away with one of those or is it better to mount a stainless steel one somewhere else?