OMC 6 Gal Cruse a Day tank

jonathanwsmith

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello all, I've installed a new gasket in my 1963 OMC fuel tank after soaking and cleaning the connector. It's 90 degrees and I just filled the tank with 6 gallons of fresh gas. I closed the cap and let the tank sit a minute in the sun before I put it in the back of my suburban. As soon as I did, gas started spewing out the "fuel in" connector. Is there some kind of check calve that should keep the expanding gas from spewing out? Thanks a million. Jonathan Smith.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Yes, the little pins that get pushed in when you connect the hose are the valves. Remove the core plugs on the opposite side to remove the pins and O-rings. There is another o-ring behind the little brass washer around the fuel side pin. Tilt the washer out to remove it. You will need replacement parts. Get them from an Evinrude dealer. You need to know what year the tank is (not the motor) to get the correct o-ring behind the brass washer.

jonathanwsmith

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks F_R for your thoughtful response. I suspected it was something like this. The parts book isn't exactly clear on this, http://www.marineengine.com/parts/v...ntage-evinrude-johnson/278444/27844400001.htm, but I think I can narrow it down. It's a joy to work on these motors and learn from folks like you. In the meantime, I'll keep my cap loosened so that thermal influence doesn't force gas out the spigot. Happy boating, Jonathan Smith.

Last edited:

jonathanwsmith

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Trying to post the link to the parts manual. I can see the link and copy it but when I paste it it appears to be shortened. My motor (and tank) is a 1963 Evinrude Sportwin.

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
21 are the valve pins that shut off the fuel and air when you unplug the hose connector (Just mentioning for reference, they don't go bad)
18 are the core plugs that you must remove to get it apart
21 are the O-rings that the valve pins seat against
16 is the washer that your pry out to get to 17, tiny o-ring around the valve stem.

36 is the fat o-ring in the plastic hose end connector.

jonathanwsmith

Petty Officer 2nd Class
#17, one ea.
#21, two ea.
#18, two ea.
Above are assuming you are going to fix both pins (you should).
#36 is the oring that goes in the fuel connector.
Thanks F_R Mariner, I’m grateful. It’s a miracle that I can get in this board and ask a question about a 60 year old gas tank and someone on the other end would share his wisdom with me.

jonathanwsmith

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Nah, the miracle is that I've survived long enough to have dealt with those 60 yr old tanks when they were new.
One question, F_R, marineengine.com offers two parts with different t numbers and prices for part no 17. Please see attached picture. I’ve got the second part no 0332488 for $6.99 in my cart, is that the correct one?

Thanks,

Jonathan Smith
Lake Tillery, NC

Attachments

• 54695FE9-BBE2-4C70-8D5E-AEA773799EE8.jpeg
    54695FE9-BBE2-4C70-8D5E-AEA773799EE8.jpeg
    488.5 KB · Views: 5

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Good question, and not 100% sure I know the correct answer. One thing I do know is that the number back in 1963 was 307858 and it was an O-ring, not a quad ring.
Now fast forward to 2022 and it is entirely possible that 307858 might be superseded by 0332488 and it may well be a quad ring---I just don't know if my assumption is true.
If true, I would think a quad ring would be superior to an O-ring for durability and long life and probably is the reason for the updated part.

$6.00 for a simple little, tiny quad ring sounds obscene to me, but I guess that's a sign of the times. Stocking and handling & overhead costs are far greater than the cost of the part. 307858 was $0.15 back in the 1964 parts book.