OMC 1973 tilt issue

Alws55

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I did a search to research my problem, I'd like some feedback on my issue.
When shifted in reverse the O/D pulls away slightly from the intermediate housing. If shifted back in to forw it will seat again. If rpm is increased in reverse the O/D will raise up like an outboard without the lock on. Is this a clutch issue? Thanks for any help.

Alws55

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: OMC 1973 tilt issue

I'm doing this assbackward......since everything else seems to work in the tilt system I just took out the clutch....yes there was water in it. I left the brass ring in since the worm gear is still in and the tilt motor operates fine in both directions and the brass ring rotates fine. After reassembling I'll see how the motor operates under a load.
I read in a post here about packing with grease instead of the oil OMC recommends...is this to fill all voids where water can occupy and thru seepage?
Is the entire case packed to eliminate any air pockets? Should I pack grease before I insert the clutch as well as between the brass ring and the housing insert clutch and finish packing it till I can screw on cover without pushing out the shaft seal ?

1973 24' Stamas 225 hp

Attachments

• 0725084.jpg
    0725084.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 0

Alws55

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well...after inspecting the clutch I noticed that the snap ring was not seated....I put a large socket over it and compressed it in a vice....I believe the washer next to the s/ring is to thick it took way to much pressure to seat the ring. When it was seated I believe the plates were so tight they wouldn't budge.
Good news is I have another Stamas with same I/O so I swapped it and was out on Erie yesterday....is there a spec for that washer I don't want to open the one thats fixed if I don't have to. Its a Late 60's early 70's OMC. pic below....thanks cheif!

Attachments

• annabelle.jpg
    annabelle.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 0

chiefalen

Captain

All it is,one big clutch. Soak the clutch pack as a whole unit. In acetone, get it in any home depot etc.

Soak it all night. Than blow it dry with compressed air. Than soak it in motor oil gear oil, snake oil i don't care, for a few hours than put it back together.

Don't over tighten the screw on the clutch cover.

Grease the zerks under the rubber bumpers.

Have fun let me know how you made out.

Heres my old post.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=259807