Evinrude 115Hp V4 Project Rebuild / Repowering a Fourwinns Fling Turbo jet boat

Jon NL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi group I am looking to identify what motor i have in a mid 90's fourwinns fling that i am trying to breath new life into. it is a 2 stroke, v4

I think **** it is a OMC 115HP but i have a few questions

was OMC the same as a johnson and evinrude ?
what are the differences between crossflow , tubrojet, louper motors ?

excited to be part of this forum and learn some boat knowledge

cheers :)

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The powerhead is a JOHNSON / EVINRUDE outboard.-----With some fuel system mods as it is regarded as an INBOARD installation.-----Done as per coastguard rules.----Turbo-jet is the name plastered on the powerhead / pump package.-----It is a crossflow motor.-----Loop charged motors use aimed intake ports to promote scavenging.-----=Crossflow motors use drilled holes and a deflector to scavenge the spent air out of the cylinders.

Jon NL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The powerhead is a JOHNSON / EVINRUDE outboard.-----With some fuel system mods as it is regarded as an INBOARD installation.-----Done as per coastguard rules.----Turbo-jet is the name plastered on the powerhead / pump package.-----It is a crossflow motor.-----Loop charged motors use aimed intake ports to promote scavenging.-----=Crossflow motors use drilled holes and a deflector to scavenge the spent air out of the cylinders.
Thanks for the wealth of knowledge racerone :)

Now I need to take the next step in finding out if I can breath life back into this project :)

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Trouble shooting starts with a compression test.-----Just had an enquiry from someone 3-1/2 hrs away asking for help with a crossflow 90 HP and compression issues.

Jon NL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So the Po bought this boat and took it out and it started to fill up with water, took it in and put it on the trailer. It was left for multiple years not winterized. I found it on the side of a friends cabin with water in the motor compartment. I took the drain plug out and two laters it was given to me for free. Pulled the plugs and rolled the motor over by hand and it spit out water. I put oil in it and tried to boost it and found the starting motor full of water

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Some will argue.-----Take the motor out.-----Take motor apart for inspection.---Could be freeze damage on block and muffler.-----Likely you will find lots of corrosion on the precision crank , rods and bearings.

Jon NL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am going to take the motor out and take it apart and inspect it for damage. Inspect the hull and the jet pump. I am willing to spend a bit of money on this project but I don’t want to throw good money after bad.

Jon NL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I will get to the bottom of this !!! If this does not want to be a boat anymore then at least it will be a floating platform with a v4 motor for a anchor

Jon NL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Some will argue.-----Take the motor out.-----Take motor apart for inspection.---Could be freeze damage on block and muffler.-----Likely you will find lots of corrosion on the precision crank , rods and bearings.
I 100% agree if all is fine then it’s just the cost of a gasket kit but my experience with sea doos tells me if it sat with water it has damage.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The most expensive boats are free, not running and full of water

Use a moisture meter to make sure the cored hull is not water soaked

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Post some pictures of crankshaft , connecting rod bearing surfaces when it is apart.-----Look for freeze damage too.------Perhaps engine drain plugs were not put in by previous owner.

Jon NL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Post some pictures of crankshaft , connecting rod bearing surfaces when it is apart.-----Look for freeze damage too.------Perhaps engine drain plugs were not put in by previous owner.
I am thinking the water that the Po was describing to me during his first and only run was coming from a cracked block or a loose hose ?

This boat sat with a fair amount of water in it so I am guessing if it holds water in the hull it might be water tight and hold water out and float .... maybe

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Yes those Turbo Jets need to be winterized.----Rebuilt one ( 115 HP ) some time ago and the inner exhaust housing was cracked open.

Jon NL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes those Turbo Jets need to be winterized.----Rebuilt one ( 115 HP ) some time ago and the inner exhaust housing was cracked open.

Hummmm would this cause water to come into the boat while running ?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If drain plugs were left out the boat would fill up.----The exhaust / muffler must be drained for winters on these things !

Jon NL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If drain plugs were left out the boat would fill up.----The exhaust / muffler must be drained for winters on these things !
I will check the drain plugs when I get home from work today and report back. New guy question Where are they located on the exhaust ? And what do they look like?

Thanks Jon