Old School Two Lever Controls

A Full Deck

Cadet
Hi,
I picked up this cool NOS Merc shifter for a Merc 850 project. Its built like a tank and smooth as silk. No instructions came with it of course. I'm an old school mechanic, but new to boating. I expected to find a neutral safety switch inside, but instead I find these two switches.

The harness has has a blue, green and red and then a separate shorter white wire, that I assume is ground. I've learned these are the same colors used on trim, but surely this switches do not have anything to do with trim. Can't find a manual or schematic anywhere.

Anybody know these two switches work together?

Attachments

• Shifter Switches.png
    Shifter Switches.png
    606.7 KB · Views: 15
  • shifter.jpg
    shifter.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 14

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I only saw the red switch in your picture. It looks like a neutral safety switch.

The white wire on those old MerControls is often ign power. This is used for the choke solenoid. Ground is usually black. Starter solenoid is often yellow, choke is grey, ign killer for magnetos is orange or salmon.

The neutral safety switch is wired in series from the start terminal on the ign switch, then onto the starter solenoid.

The choke switch connects white wire to the grey wire.

A Full Deck

Cadet
Thanks Redneck Joe, but the harness coming off of the switches is red (maybe orange) and definitely green and blue? The white wire is separate. I'll get some better pics showing the wires and switches in each gear and post them soon. Thanks!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
?????Title says two lever control. But why am I seeing only one lever????? My guess is that the switches are for an OMC Electric Shift or Hydro Electric shift. But on a Merc Control????

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Start-in-neutral switch and shift interrupter switch??????

A Full Deck

Cadet
?????Title says two lever control. But why am I seeing only one lever????? My guess is that the switches are for an OMC Electric Shift or Hydro Electric shift. But on a Merc Control????
Hello, there are two levers. The shorter black lever (shift lever) is hidden behind the harness in the pic where the unit is assembled. The throttle lever is a longer red one. In the pic showing the switches, the case is split in half to show only the shift lever and switches.

A Full Deck

Cadet
Ok, here are a few more pics. As mentioned, there is a harness with three wires (orange, blue and green). Then a separate white wire. In the pic marked "white wire" I am pointing to where the white wire connects on the switch on the right.

I haven't fully mapped the logic here- cause no one wants to read all that, but in case anyone is interested, here's what we got:

There are two switches, each with a wire connected to its source and to NC and NO:

The lone white wire connects to source of right switch

When in Neutral, left switch is clicked
When in R, neither switch is clicked
When in Drive, both switches are clicked

Someone out there knows :)

PS: Just found the part number 63064A2 :) Found a parts exploded view for it and it lists the white wire as a battery wire and the harness as shift control
3363511A2--HARNESS ASSEMBLY, SHIFT CONTROL
3761601A5--CABLE ASSEMBLY, BATTERY (WHITE - 60")

But what is it controlling?

Attachments

• close up.png
    close up.png
    565.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Drive.png
    Drive.png
    526.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Half.png
    Half.png
    476.5 KB · Views: 2
  • neutral.png