Old Member returning - purchased a motor for my inflatable, a bit nervous...

boatlova'

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi, I was an old member here on the forum back when I purchased a Saturn XD 430 (14 ft) and received a lot of helpful advices from this forum. (I think the new version of this boat is SD430). I had a trolling motor which we took to the lake only a couple of times. I know it's pretty sad.. the boat has been sitting idle due to so many reasons for a long time. Just found the time to get into boating and purchased a 20 hp Suzuki motor. I have never used an outboard motor on a boat and have very limited boating experience. I have been watching plenty of YouTube videos. I think in the next couple of weeks I will be taking my family out on to the lake on my 14 footer with the motor. Any helpful suggestions and instructions are delightfully welcomed as I want to soak in as much info as I possibly can to be safe and have a good time. TIA.

Edit: Wanted to add that I don't have a trailer and cannot get one due to space limitations unless I can fold and keep in my backyard. I have transom wheels which I will be attaching.

Last edited:

airshot

Rear Admiral
Set up the boat and motor in your drive with a pair of water muffs. Then you can play with your motor and get the feel of how it starts, runs etc.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hi, I was an old member here on the forum back when I purchased a Saturn XD 430 (14 ft) and received a lot of helpful advices from this forum. (I think the new version of this boat is SD430). I had a trolling motor which we took to the lake only a couple of times. I know it's pretty sad.. the boat has been sitting idle due to so many reasons for a long time. Just found the time to get into boating and purchased a 20 hp Suzuki motor. I have never used an outboard motor on a boat and have very limited boating experience. I have been watching plenty of YouTube videos. I think in the next couple of weeks I will be taking my family out on to the lake on my 14 footer with the motor. Any helpful suggestions and instructions are delightfully welcomed as I want to soak in as much info as I possibly can to be safe and have a good time. TIA.

Edit: Wanted to add that I don't have a trailer and cannot get one due to space limitations unless I can fold and keep in my backyard. I have transom wheels which I will be attaching.
Probably be a good idea to go out alone a few times to get a feel for the boat and motor before taking family. Make sure all have life jackets too.

boatlova'

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Set up the boat and motor in your drive with a pair of water muffs. Then you can play with your motor and get the feel of how it starts, runs etc.
Thanks for the suggestion. I may do that.

boatlova'

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Probably be a good idea to go out alone a few times to get a feel for the boat and motor before taking family. Make sure all have life jackets too.
That's a good one as well. I may take it out by myself just to get a feel.