OK Merc guys got a question about using a 140* stat...

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I'm posting this on the Merc board even though I have the OMC because I feel I'll get more responses and its a generic question.
OK I've had the OMC for a long time, and all their engines came with a 160 stat as did most Volvo engines, whereas Merc did use a 140 stat in their older applications. I have read and heard that for raw water cooling in salt water (which is all I do) you should have a 140 stat, because at higher temps the salt starts to drop out of suspension and causes deposits. Well when I took my engine apart, I didn't really see evidence of this, but wanted to try a 140 anyway. Sierra makes one for Volvo applications which fits the OMC perfectly because they used the same thermostat housing. In additon, even though its a Sierra, I think the same company makes them that makes them for BRP & Volvo because they have the same markings, same patent # etc.

So tested it in the pot of hot water, with my old school radiator thermometer. Sure enough opens at 140* and seemed to open more than 160* stats I have used. Now I installed it and idling on the water hose, all I am getting for temp at idle is 130*. With the 160* I got 155-165*. I have not launched the boat yet but my question: is this typical for a 140 stat idling on the water hose? I know for sure it opened and close to spec, tested it several times. What say you Merc folks?

Bondo

Staff member
Donno Lou, but hose water is stone cold, 'n the motor ain't workin' at all,....
I rarely see much heat on the hose,.....

Could yer gauge be off by a few degrees,..??

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Possible but when I check the area on the intake right under the stat housing that usually correlates with the dash gauge is the same; 130*. With the 160 stat I was getting 155-165 on the gauge on the intake I was getting 145-155.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
I wouldn't worry about 10 degrees either way. If you are worried about it, take a spare thermostat and gasket, and tools, when you next go out...

Chris.......

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Yep that’s what I’ll do, got spare stats and tools. Might be trying to solve a “problem” that’s not really a problem!

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I'm posting this on the Merc board even though I have the OMC because I feel I'll get more responses and its a generic question.
OK I've had the OMC for a long time, and all their engines came with a 160 stat as did most Volvo engines, whereas Merc did use a 140 stat in their older applications. I have read and heard that for raw water cooling in salt water (which is all I do) you should have a 140 stat, because at higher temps the salt starts to drop out of suspension and causes deposits. Well when I took my engine apart, I didn't really see evidence of this, but wanted to try a 140 anyway. Sierra makes one for Volvo applications which fits the OMC perfectly because they used the same thermostat housing. In additon, even though its a Sierra, I think the same company makes them that makes them for BRP & Volvo because they have the same markings, same patent # etc.

So tested it in the pot of hot water, with my old school radiator thermometer. Sure enough opens at 140* and seemed to open more than 160* stats I have used. Now I installed it and idling on the water hose, all I am getting for temp at idle is 130*. With the 160* I got 155-165*. I have not launched the boat yet but my question: is this typical for a 140 stat idling on the water hose? I know for sure it opened and close to spec, tested it several times. What say you Merc folks?
Thats consitent with what I see on the hose takes a long time to get hot especially in the spring when water is cold