Oil change interval, synthetic or no, curious what we all do

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Under enough Pressure/Heat/Time it is very possible. Natural Gas is found in great quantities deep underground, and it comes from things decomposing.
Coal is comprised of Layers of what resembles pressed Vegetation

Chief Petty Officer
Takes 15 mins to do a drain and fill in my driveway. Mobil 1 Synthetic . I aim for 7-8k , but have stretched it past 10k. OEM filters are cheaper at my dealership vs aftermarket.

I have the re-assurance knowing that it's done properly , using quality oil, at the right levels . And that no teenager , or druggie , or bottom of the barrel loser who's failed at everything else in life is going to destroy my engine at one of those quick lube places.

Renken2000Classic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yeah, "5min or less", or some such. As if such a claim would make me want to go there. No, no, please take your time and at least do it right. I had it done at WM once on an old POJ truck because I just didn't feel up to it. Got the cheapest oil (Quaker State) and I don't think they made any money on the deal.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
Synthetic oil vs. regular oil is an ongoing daily discussion/argument across dozens or hundreds of websites. There is no single correct answer. Rather than over think this and argue back and forth, the best approach is to simply follow the recommendations in the owners manual. Just follow the manufacturer’s recommendation regarding type of oil, viscosity and change interval. You cannot go wrong by doing that.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I just do what my truck tells me when it tells me, via the dash reminder. Other engines like OB, ATV, lawnmower, once a year. Regular oil.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
My 2 vehicles only accumulate about 5,000 miles a year. So I do a yearly oil change on both. The 07 Jeep with 5.7 Hemi gets Mobil 1 5/20 and the 98 Jeep with the 4.0 gets Valvoline Max Life 5/30 (syn blend).
In the boat (4.3 V6) I recently switched to Quicksilver 25/50 syn blend; gets changed at the end of each season.
My yard equipment gets yearly changed or based on hrs. Mower straight 30 Delo, gen set Mobil 1 5/30, all the 2 strokes get syn blend 2 stroke oil (Echo Power Blend).

briangcc

Commander
I can do it myself, but at this stage in my life I prefer to have the dealer do it for me. If they screw it up, it's their problem - both vehicles under factory warranties. They go in when the idiot lights pop up on the dash indicating an oil change is needed. Both get synthetic, or should, according to the owners manuals.

I will show my boys when they are of driving age how to do an oil change and tire rotation on their own so they at least have the info on how its down properly.

As for the boat...I rarely put on huge number of hours on the motor so it could, in theory, go 2 years. Yeah, yeah maintenance intervals and all. Generally have the marina change it as part of winterization.

sublauxation

Lieutenant
The ecoboost F150 gets synthetic or synthetic blend every 3000 ish miles. The '69 F100 gets dino 2x/year, probably 1500 miles between each change.

ezbtr

Commander
Went back to 5/30 full synthetic extended interval Mobil 1 and a Wix filter on the F150 3.5 TT EB, 102K, here in TX we were at 45 days straight triple digits, after a day or two of 98, we are right back at it, I'll stay w/ synthetics, Mustang soon as the oil even starts to look dirty (3K on dino now) global warming now and Texas are brutal :)

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I just wait for the Oil Monitor Light to come on, or if equipped, the Oil Life% to hit 0, with certain Caveats.
The car with the Change Oil Light was speced for Dino Oil, and it goes a long time. Since I have always used Syn, I go a few extra thousand before changing, it now has over 300,000 on it, and doesn't burn it, leaks a bit.
The Car with the % reading, would initially go about 10,000 between changes, but because the DI engine was creating abrasive Soot and was ruining the Timing Chains, GM reprogramed the Oil Life Monitor to shorter intervals. In cooler temps, a trip around the Block would drop the Life by 1%, so I ignored it and added a few extra thousand before changing it. At 9 yrs GM replaced the Chains under warranty. Drove the Car another 5 yrs before it was written off due to a Collision, and it didn't burn oil, at 200,000

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I just wait for the Oil Monitor Light to come on, or if equipped, the Oil Life% to hit 0, with certain Caveats.
The car with the Change Oil Light was speced for Dino Oil, and it goes a long time. Since I have always used Syn, I go a few extra thousand before changing, it now has over 300,000 on it, and doesn't burn it, leaks a bit.
The Car with the % reading, would initially go about 10,000 between changes, but because the DI engine was creating abrasive Soot and was ruining the Timing Chains, GM reprogramed the Oil Life Monitor to shorter intervals. In cooler temps, a trip around the Block would drop the Life by 1%, so I ignored it and added a few extra thousand before changing it. At 9 yrs GM replaced the Chains under warranty. Drove the Car another 5 yrs before it was written off due to a Collision, and it didn't burn oil, at 200,000
Yeah, I just wait for the change oil message too in my f150. It does seem to go a long time between changes though, like about 12-13,000 km. I figure if that is calibrated for reg oil and I use synthetic, I should be good. However, there is one ford repair YT channel I like that says ford's service intervals are way too long, so IDK.

ezbtr

Commander
How about those of you who have diesels? Do you use synthetic? Would you during a new engine break in period - gas or diesel engine?

ezbtr

Commander
After last summer 43 + days 100+ degrees , Just got the 06 Stang (72K miles) to Mobil 1 5/20 full syn extended oil again , I supplied the oil and K&N oil filter - saved me $50 on cost!!! This climate change is real and TX is NOT CA weather (I know, been here 6 yrs) Mobile mechanic did the work - super nice guy :)

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
For the last 3 yrs I have been using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum in 3 of my cars, 1 with DI(200,000k), the other two with Sequential FI(300,000K and 20,000K). In the two high Milers, the oil gets very dirty quickly. All the cars seem to have better Throttle Response, and Pick Up since using the Ultra, so I am assuming it has loosened and cleaned up the Piston Rings.
However, I will not be using the Ultra Platinum in my new Vehicle, a Cadillac XT5, as GM requires a DEXOS Oil for Warranty, and the Ultra is not that. Even though the Website says it is, the Label on the Bottles/Jugs does not have the DEXOS Cert. A call to Pennzoil's Tech Dept, got me a very clear, in No uncertain Terms, that the Ultra is NOT a DEXOS Oil

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I do try to follow exactly what the OEM says to use, especially during warrantee, the one time it became confusing was when there was a spat (or so it seemed) between FCA and Mobil. At one time Mobil 1 had full approval in Chrysler products but that changed when Fiat bought into them, Fiat was allied with Shell/Penzoil. Mobil apparently didn't want to do some very extensive test on Mobil 1 to get the Chrysler MS 6395 certification, so technically the cheaper Mobil was still approved but not Mobil 1. I had started using it in my '07 Jeep Hemi back in '09 and only found out about this a few years after.
this is a cut and paste from the extensive requirements of this standard:
Oil must pass Chrysler Las Vegas fleet test. The test is run in Chrysler vehicles for 100,000 miles in taxicabs in Las Vegas over two summers and one winter. Chrysler material engineering can supply more detail. Fleet plan must be approved by Chrysler’s Material Engineering before testing begins.

But just kept using it and it worked out just fine. Now apparently the Mobil 1 advanced full synthetic version meets this spec so I guess ChryCo and whoever owns them & Mobil made up after their little spat.

SouthernBayman

Recruit
I do try to follow exactly what the OEM says to use, especially during warrantee, the one time it became confusing was when there was a spat (or so it seemed) between FCA and Mobil. At one time Mobil 1 had full approval in Chrysler products but that changed when Fiat bought into them, Fiat was allied with Shell/Penzoil. Mobil apparently didn't want to do some very extensive test on Mobil 1 to get the Chrysler MS 6395 certification, so technically the cheaper Mobil was still approved but not Mobil 1. I had started using it in my '07 Jeep Hemi back in '09 and only found out about this a few years after.
this is a cut and paste from the extensive requirements of this standard:
Oil must pass Chrysler Las Vegas fleet test. The test is run in Chrysler vehicles for 100,000 miles in taxicabs in Las Vegas over two summers and one winter. Chrysler material engineering can supply more detail. Fleet plan must be approved by Chrysler’s Material Engineering before testing begins.

But just kept using it and it worked out just fine. Now apparently the Mobil 1 advanced full synthetic version meets this spec so I guess ChryCo and whoever owns them & Mobil made up after their little spat.
I remember that saga - ironically Mobil has been doing LV taxi testing for many years (Proof of Performance) …
I never worried about it either and use M1 in my Rubicon … in fact 5W30 in place of 0W20 …

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Even when the M1 didn't meet that MS 6395 I did 2 Blackstone Labs oil analyses and my 07 Hemi came out very well.