NY Registration sticker faded

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
It's good through 2018, but the sticker on one side is completely faded - anyone know what, if anything I have to do. I passed a LEO last night expecting to get stopped, but wasn't. So it's got me thinking, and wonder what the good folks here think. What's the law say? What do you think I should do?

Maclin

Admiral
If one side is ok and you have any required reg papers with you then I think: Nothing.

oldjeep

Admiral
In MN you can get a replacement reg sticker for $6, is it expensive in NY?

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Are they a different color each year (or two years, or whatever period they are good for)? If so, maybe all Johnny Law needed to see was the (faded) color to know you was all good.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
If the "18" is still dark and visible, I wouldn't worry about it.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Like Mac said, if the other sticker is Ok, 'n ya got the paper that goes with it,....

I wouldn't worry 'bout it,....

LEOs in NYS are gettin' used to the paint fallin' off the license plates, 'n faded ink on the stickers,....

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Are they a different color each year (or two years, or whatever period they are good for)? If so, maybe all Johnny Law needed to see was the (faded) color to know you was all good.

Yup, that's possible. Reggies are good for 3 years and the sicker colors change.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks all for the responses. With so many other things to do - I think I'll leave it as is for now. With all the taxes, fees, etc we pay in NY, I'd think we be provided with stickers, etc that will hold up - oh well. Or, replace that stuff at no charge, as long as it's still in the covered period. Oh well...

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Ayuh,....

LEOs in NYS are gettin' used to the paint fallin' off the license plates, 'n faded ink on the stickers,....
Paintless licence plates were a manufacturing defect. NY would give you new plates for FREE if you took them to the DMV for replacement. When it was announced that the free program was ending, they also notified the NYSP. No more free lunch. Now they ticket you for a paintless plate. (at least in my part of the state).

My son bought a brand new boat and the dealer applied the reg stickers. The VERY FIRST time in the water a patrol boat pulled him over and gave him a ticket because "HE FELT" the color contrast wasn't good and he could'nt read them.

Its all up to the officer. What's the big deal about buying another sticker?