New to the board, lots of questions!

OCSportsman

Seaman
HI everyone, I am new to Iboats. I currently have a 16ft Lowe Jon boat, but am researching upgrading to a larger family friendly boat. Starcrafts seem to fit the bill as far as best bang for the buck and safety wise I will be more comfortable with my young kids in it.

Are there any "Quirks" I should look for when looking at a Starcraft?

I do a fair amount of fishing and hunting out of my boat and would plan on doing the same with the Starcraft, has anyone ever used Rhinolining, or LineX, Turbo Liner type materials on the bottom of their boat? I fish and hunt in areas that have larger rocks on the shore and I figured this would help keep the bottom in good condition, as well as secure the rivets at the seams, and quiet things down a little when running in heavier chop. What do you think?

Has anyone ever opened up their closed bow to a modified open bow? I was thinking of cutting it and lowering it about a foot or so to add a little more storage up front for anchor rope, bouy, ice chest and make it easier/safer to drop anchor.

What is the ideal HP for an 18ft Starcraft? It will be my Wife and I and our 3 young kids. What is the HP rating for the 18 footer?

I'm sure i'll have more questions, but here is a start.

Thanks for your help :)

OCSportsman

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: New to the board, lots of questions!

I have not heard good things about bottom coating a boat with bed liner. I think it robs you of a ton of speed and adds little protection. These boats are really tough, I wouldn't worry about it. 18fters usually have a max HP rating around 125. I would think a 115 would be a great fit.

Andy in NY

Commander

HI everyone, I am new to Iboats. I currently have a 16ft Lowe Jon boat, but am researching upgrading to a larger family friendly boat. Starcrafts seem to fit the bill as far as best bang for the buck and safety wise I will be more comfortable with my young kids in it.

Are there any "Quirks" I should look for when looking at a Starcraft?

I do a fair amount of fishing and hunting out of my boat and would plan on doing the same with the Starcraft, has anyone ever used Rhinolining, or LineX, Turbo Liner type materials on the bottom of their boat? I fish and hunt in areas that have larger rocks on the shore and I figured this would help keep the bottom in good condition, as well as secure the rivets at the seams, and quiet things down a little when running in heavier chop. What do you think?

Has anyone ever opened up their closed bow to a modified open bow? I was thinking of cutting it and lowering it about a foot or so to add a little more storage up front for anchor rope, bouy, ice chest and make it easier/safer to drop anchor.

What is the ideal HP for an 18ft Starcraft? It will be my Wife and I and our 3 young kids. What is the HP rating for the 18 footer?

I'm sure i'll have more questions, but here is a start.

Thanks for your help :)

OCSportsman
+1 on not using rhino lining as a bottom paint. aluminum hulls are pretty durable, if you hit a small rock it will dent and ding, but wont crack like fiberglass.

as for starctaft... know this... buying your first one is like smoking crack for the first time. you are instantly hooked, will probably spend ungodly amounts of money in your life on them and your wife will divorce you because you pay too much attention to "the other woman".

redjet703

Cadet

I don't know about the bottom of a boat, but the rhino liner is the best thing I have ever done for my truck!

I seriously considered having it sprayed on an area of my jet14 sail boat. There were two spots where the rigging was scratching the deck. Never got around to it. sold the boat and a few months later bought my starcraft.

I would be concerned about the texture adding drag through the water.