New Starter turns on when battery is connected

98BajaOutlaw

Cadet
1998 Baja Outlaw with a 7.4 Merc 454

I installed a new starter as I burned my old one out, everything was all good, I cranked it for about 3-4 seconds and then it stopped cranking and the starter kept turning until I turned the battery switch off. The power and ignition wire are not touching on the starter. Any ideas? Thanks

ScottinAZ

Senior Chief Petty Officer
chevy style starter, so if the large diameter battery terminal is in any way touching the bottom connection (that goes into the back of the starter) on the solenoid, the motor will run, but the bendix gear will not be extended. If the two are not bridged, the solenoid is fried internally. The two smaller wires (tickler to activate the solenoid, typically yellow/red on these boats, and the lead to the coil) have little to do except activating the solenoid itself.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Ended up being one of the power wires touching the neg post. Thanks so much for your help! Happy boating.
There is no negative post. If there was and a positive wire was touching it you would have had smoke and sparks.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Sounds more like a Hot wire touching the Solenoid Terminal, or a shorted Key Switch, supplying Power when not needed/wanted. Burned out a Starter in 77 on the far side of the lake, when the switch went postal. There was smoke when the Starter got hot

98BajaOutlaw

Cadet
Sounds more like a Hot wire touching the Solenoid Terminal, or a shorted Key Switch, supplying Power when not needed/wanted. Burned out a Starter in 77 on the far side of the lake, when the switch went postal. There was smoke when the Starter got hot
Does the terminal wire come from the ignition to the coil pack then to the starter?