New Journey

airshot

Rear Admiral
Nice looking job...I had a 1979 model with a 70 Johnny on it. Great boat and she did 34 mph with two on board. Caught lots of walleye off that boat !!

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander
I run costco batteries.
Best deal out there.

Been running them for years now. (y)

MNhunter1

Ensign
Well, I can't say it's been fast, but definitely moving forward. Spring here in MN has been a bit of a wet and windy mess scattered with a few nice days here and there. Spring turkey season was a bit unusual with the weather patterns, but managed to lay one down on day 3 when the sun finally broke for a morning. Still trying to find an opportunity to get my 12, err 13 year old out (just had a birthday on Sunday), but between the lacrosse, baseball, and flag football games, combined with the weather, its been a challenge. Its been busy, but I know I'll look back someday and miss the chaos of it all.

Pretty much down to electrical and getting the TOP running and rigged, along with some trailer work. Probably tackle a full trailer rehab over the next winter, but still need to paint some fenders, wire some lights, and take care of all the littles to make sure its safe and fully functional. Finishing up the front casting deck, storage, and trolling motor needs, then I'll turn back to the console and complete the rest of the wiring there. So close, yet so far :)
IMG_5584.jpgIMG_5585.jpgIMG_5586.jpgIMG_5587.jpgJasonSpring24.jpg

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Was going to wait until I actually had this one in hand, but I figured the journey is a big part of what we look forward to sharing here. Made an agreement with my wife that if I sold the 16SS after having taken up space in our garage and two different homes for a number of years, I could find the hull I wanted and build another one as a keeper. I hope the saying holds true that the third times a charm...

After prematurely looking for good bones for a new rebuild (I think my wife was thinking "next year"...lol), I have a verbal agreement in place on a '84 MR180 about 3 hours from here. Watched it for about a month and had several conversations with the seller. Plan to hit the road pre-dawn on Saturday morning to arrive around sunrise, look her over, and tow her home.

Keep your fingers crossed for a safe journey with no surprises/disappointments...

View attachment 322032View attachment 322034View attachment 322036View attachment 322038
My brother has one of these, looking forward to seeing your build

Moserkr

Chief Officer + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2021
Nice big tom!! Great looking boat too. Very clean build. Cant wait to see her on the water again.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Update time: Was trucking along and then lost a little steam after the weather turned again. Got a few deliveries in, with another one arriving tomorrow containing the remaining terminal blocks and bus bars I need for the wiring. I know you all like pictures, and nothing too exciting to share, but I'll attach a few teasers:
View attachment 396425View attachment 396426View attachment 396427View attachment 396428View attachment 396429
View attachment 396430
Questions:
1) Any issue with the Interstate batteries from the local Costco? I'll be running a group 24 for the starting/house (would need to do some modifications to fit anything bigger), and then a pair of group 27's dedicated to the 80lb Ulterra. Sounds like many recommend going to group 29's, but not sure what/where to find them for a dependable/reasonable price.
2) 6 AWG tinned recommended for joining the two 12v together and running to the trolling motor plug? Easy enough to make my own, or just buy some custom? My ratcheting crimper only goes to 10 AWG, but have a friend I could likely borrow a larger crimper from.
3) Plan on picking up a Noco 2 bank onboard charger (5amp per bank) for the trolling motor batteries. Any benefit in adding a single bank for the starter/house battery as well, or will the motor keep it pretty well charged? I'm also planning on carrying a Noco GB40 Boost for IF I ever find myself needing a jump for the main. Not much on the house aside from lights, bilge, livewell pump, and a Garmin 93SV.
3) Any issue with securing bus bar and/or terminal block directly to the inside of the transom under the splashwell? It would be easiest to screw it right into the wood, and will be completely covered/enclosed, so don't really see much opportunity for it to get wet there aside from a fully swamped hull.
4) Trailer fenders - the originals had the carpet backers, are they necessary, or any concern with leaving them off/fenders opened on the back?

Thanks Mob! Hope everyone is well!

another super clean build man!

For what it's worth, I'm winding down of 2 weeks of striper fishing on the mighty Hudson with a pair of Walmart Everstart Maxx Marine 29DC's for my 80# Terrova. I've been using the TM for a full day of controlled drifts & spot-lock anchoring in an area of river that has full outgoing flow (regardless of tide) and at the end of the heaviest use day, I had only used 25% of their capacity. IIRC, they were about 110 bucks a piece.