Need general info on 1997 era rinker 212's

jwilkey84

Chief Petty Officer
So I'm considering a 1997 rinker 212 with a 5.7 lx which is 250hp according to owner. Looks to me like the 5.7lx wasn't too common in those but I don't mind...I have read on here many times "there is no replacement for displacement !" So I would imagine that motor would push that boat 50mph? I can't figure out why some of the 212's are rated for 8 passengers and some are rated for 10. Also some have a single axle trailer and some have tandem? Shouldn't they have same wether and pass. Rating? Is the 5.7 heavier than the 4.3 and 5.0 to the point that the passenger/weight rating has to be decreased? And if the motor is that much more heavier, wouldn't I want a tandem Trailer? Either way it's a 1997 212 in excellent condition approx 250 hrs on it for $7000 is it a deal, I think it is? Tell me if I'm missing something

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Couldn't tell you why some would be rated for more passengers than others. 5.7 is heavier than 4.3. 5.7 and 5.0 are the same weight. Trailer capacity is based on a number of things (tires, axles and springs) and it's entirely possible for a single axle trailer to have as much weight capacity as a tandem, up to a certain point. Just make sure the trailer is capacitized for the weight of the boat, along with all the fuel and stuff that;ll be aboard.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Its a used boat, probably different dealers and owners put different trailers under the Rinker when new. Some tandem, some single axles, or at some time in the past 20yrs +/-, the trailer got changed.

212s of the exact same year and model designation have different passenger capacities? Bench seat at the motor doghouse instead of a sun deck? Or one is a bow rider and the other isnt?

Last edited: