My 84 4winns horizon 195 project.

Pmt133

Petty Officer 1st Class
Today is a rather small yet big update. Stringers are bedded on peanut butter.
20240427_163633.jpg
Let me tell you it's no small task to bed them on your own. And, I used a damn level too! Building them into the sled you see was a good idea as it keeps them parallel all the way up.

They are vertical and the bubble is in the lines. Close enough. I did float them how the factory did, some places are a thin bit of peanut butter keeping it off the hull and others quarter inch void filled or so. Since the strength comes from the glass, I'm not too concerned... but maybe i should be?

One interesting thing, mine are straighter than factory. I also axed doubling up the 3/4 up front. I'll build that up with trim instead. Again, don't really think it was needed but rather done to extend the 10 foot timber.

I also figure them being a half inch in any direction from where they were originally located won't cause any major issues either.

Overall, only can go up from here!

Pmt133

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I have a question... should I cut the stringers to height before I tab them or tab them then cut to height? I worry about minor delamination if I were to cut the glass to height buy think I am over thinking it as they would still get capped....

todhunter

Canoeist
I did 2 each way, and much preferred cutting them to height before installing. I also preferred routing the top edge before installation to facilitate an easier capping job once installed. I basically put a full radius on the stringers using a 3/8" radius bit on both sides of the 3/4" stringers.

Pmt133

Petty Officer 1st Class
Guess I'll cut them down before I tab them. They are already bedded. :(

I'm thinking 2 layers of 1708 for tabbing is adequate but I have enough material to do 3 layers. I was thinking a 5 inch (10 total, 5 on the stringer, 5 on the hull surface), 7 inch and 9 inch overlay from the centerline of the filet would be very overkill. 2 is probably plenty no? And then for capping I was figuring 2 layups of CSM is plenty. It's the 1.5 Oz. I will radius the cap with the router.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
You can also glass the stringers/bulkheads on a work table and install. Then just need to do tabbing in the boat. I found it much faster and easier.