Motor won't turn off after putting in new tilt trim harness and relays

seakingbob

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just can't seem to figure this out. I put in a new wiring harness for the tilt trim and had to splice in all the wires for it.The tilt trim works now,but when I started the motor it wouldn't turn off. I don't know if it put the wires back the same way on the wire bar. I think I did. I took pictures of the way it was before I started. The only wires on there for the ignition are the purple ones and there is only 2 I spliced in the red one the goes to the solenoid. Does anyone have any thoughts as to why this is happening?
1990 70hp evinrude

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Motor won't turn off after putting in new tilt trim harness and relays

I think that motor has a magneto ignition system. If so, shutting off the motor requires the magneto leads to be connected to each other by the ignition switch. See if one of these wires got disconnected at the motor, since that's where you were working.

seakingbob

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Motor won't turn off after putting in new tilt trim harness and relays

Thanks for the reply, I found the problem. The power cable pulled apart some and it was just enough to start it. But then when you shut it down it wouldn't. When I found it pulled apart and put it back, The motor shut down