Motor won’t turn over

Stewartwp05

Cadet
Took it out for the first time this year to fire it up, I just purchased it and it’s my first boat, put muffs on it, made sure there was gas, and went to start it, the attachment below is what it was doing, any help would be awesome thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_9762.MOV
    12.7 MB · Views: 0

flashback

Captain
Battery is about gone, charge it, clean the terminals and give it another try..

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,...... Welcome Aboard,..... Start by removin', 'n cleaning to shiny metal both ends of both battery cables, 'n the terminals they mount too,.....
'n of course, charge up the battery after,.....

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hopefully just the battery. But can I ask if you last saw it run before winter or not ? If the battery is assumed good (make sure), then I’d be pulling the plugs out her and seeing if she turns over without water showing itself from the cylinders or on plugs. Make sure they aren’t wet. What I’m really getting at is…was she winterised or susceptible to any freezing weather ?
If she has perhaps suffered manifold damage (which allows water into cylinders) and it is the case that you’ve just got her and seen her run recently. It is possible for a dishonest seller to be able to run her up for you and seem ok. But as soon as that engine stops running, water can drain from a damaged manifold, down into the cylinders and lock her up for the next attempt at starting.
Hopefully not though.

Stewartwp05

Cadet
Hopefully just the battery. But can I ask if you last saw it run before winter or not ? If the battery is assumed good (make sure), then I’d be pulling the plugs out her and seeing if she turns over without water showing itself from the cylinders or on plugs. Make sure they aren’t wet. What I’m really getting at is…was she winterised or susceptible to any freezing weather ?
If she has perhaps suffered manifold damage (which allows water into cylinders) and it is the case that you’ve just got her and seen her run recently. It is possible for a dishonest seller to be able to run her up for you and seem ok. But as soon as that engine stops running, water can drain from a damaged manifold, down into the cylinders and lock her up for the next attempt at starting.
Hopefully not though.
Saw it running during the end of winter, it was winterized, it did not go before 40 from the time that I had seen it run to the time that I got it into my garage.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Saw it running during the end of winter, it was winterized, it did not go before 40 from the time that I had seen it run to the time that I got it into my garage.
Did you see it start more than once ? Apologies for being pessimistic. Hopefully it just the battery. Sounds like it could be.

Stewartwp05

Cadet
Updated video!!!
Ok so now it turns over after cleaning terminals and trickle charging overnight, but will not stay on, ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_9764.MOV
    12.3 MB · Views: 0

dave8311

Seaman
Did you or anyone else change the timing? If not it's probably a gasoline related issue. Too much, not enough or bad quality.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
My two bob. For what’s it’s worth. I think it sounds like your fuel is bad or a little water in it.