Motor swap, back and forth.

FLATHEAD

Captain
I’ve got a crestliner set up with a 2020 20HP mercury motor to run on a local HP restricted lake. I want to set myself up with a 50 HP to swap out maybe a couple times a year for lakes with no restriction and so with a passenger I can move along.
My thoughts are I’ll stick with mercury of same vintage figuring the steering switch should be easy, How much of an issue will wiring be. I’m looking for as easy as I can make this.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Since the 50 is likely Bolted to the Transom, every time you take it off to use the 20, you have to deal with sealing those holes so as not to get the Transom Internals wet.

FLATHEAD

Captain
Since the 50 is likely Bolted to the Transom, every time you take it off to use the 20, you have to deal with sealing those holes so as not to get the Transom Internals wet.
Anticipate that. The 20 is bolted as well. Boat is 100% aluminum so no fear of of rot but I will still seal things up. Probably fab up some sort of plug. The wiring for starting, tilt trim and such is my main concern.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Steering swaps pretty easily between motor makes. The electricals and control cables do not. For those the same brand motor is good.

FLATHEAD

Captain
That’s why I plan to stick with merc. If I were starting from scratch I wouldn’t go merc. Just want this to be as plug and play as I can make it. Appreciate the replies. Seems not a lot of knowledge here on doing something like this. 🤷‍♂️

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Different year Mercs use different electrical controls. The control cables usually work for all Mercs.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Any way you could buy another 20hp and hook both up and only use one when on restricted lake? Too heavy maybe?

FLATHEAD

Captain
Different year Mercs use different electrical controls. The control cables usually work for all Mercs.
That’s why I thought I’d buy a merc of the same vintage.

I called to the dealer that sets up these crestliners. According to him if I go same vintage the electrical plugs should match up.
Now to find a 2020 merc 50 HP 4 stroke. New is like 7600$ 😭

drewm3i

Petty Officer 1st Class
Not my thing. I fish the local HP restricted lake a lot. Not worth it if caught, plus I wouldn’t feel right doing that.
Having the power means nothing if you don't use it? A 20 HP limit is asinine. What they should do is limit boat size and/or speed.

FLATHEAD

Captain
Having the power means nothing if you don't use it? A 20 HP limit is asinine. What they should do is limit boat size and/or speed.
It’s not asinine if you knew the circumstances. It’s only 1500 acres. Who cares how big the boat is, but no way in hell would people obey a speed restriction. I’m fine as are most locals with the 20HP.

FLATHEAD

Captain
It’s not asinine if you knew the circumstances. It’s only 1500 acres. Who cares how big the boat is. Just like guys that would put the wrong stickers on a motor, no way in hell would people obey a speed restriction either. I’m fine as are most locals with the 20HP.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
What’s the hp permitted? Are you aware of the rather sneaky solution that selva came up with, to get around similar issues regarding commercial fishing license fees, for certain hp on fishing boats ?
Genius…they sell a range of engines called the dorado/swordfish or something like that. Badged as either 30 or 40hp. Suspiciously larger than your average 30hp. They are in fact the Yamaha 1.8l engine, which usually produces 100-130hp. The reduction in hp is solely achieved with a restrictor. No ecu or mapping required. I don’t need to tell you what the owners quickly tinker with..as soon as the engine is installed!! Next time you see a small fishing boat charging along at 30-40 mph with a 30hp selva on the transom…you’ll know why 😂

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
In Canada, Lakes and Rivers are Federal Jurisdiction, so the rules apply nationwide, the Provinces, and Municipalities really can't do much. One time the County tried to restrict launching on Weekends to motors of less than 25hp, that was in 1986. When a county cop waved me in and told me I couldn't run the Car Topper cause it had too much HP(35). I told him something that involved Sex and Travel, and left. Went and got my boat and went past him several times. About an hour later the RCMP show up at our place, asking if we had a Boat. I said yes, and asked if he wanted to Rent it. The weasel I told to FO was sitting in the Cop car trying to look invisible, he never got out. After the cop said the county had a restriction, I told the Cop that Lakes were under Federal Jurisdiction and the county had no authourity. I also pointed out that they had a Launching Restriction, but I launched off of our Property a couple of days earlier, the Trailer and Tow Vehicle were on our launch ramp we had built. After about 40 minutes, the cop decided to leave. A couple weeks later I was towing one of my Dad's Girlfriend's Kids behind the Car Topper, when again I am being waved in. I ignored him, and I told one of the spotters in the boat to wave back. The one trying to wave me in, was now stomping their feet and writing furiously. I asked the oldest in the boat if he wanted to ski, he didn't want to until he realized it would be behind the bigger boat. We got other boat and away we went, he was fairly good and liked around 35mph, as we went past the Stomper Ground, I saw 2 Cop Cars and 3 Cops watching. I made 3 more passes and went home. Cops never showed up.