Mercruiser outdrive oil/liquid leak during winter

Owl1981

Recruit
Hello,
I winterized my boat (flushed the engine with antifreeze), and shrinkwrapped my boat. I did not replace gear oil (was going to do it in the spring).
We had a few cold days (single digits), and after that I noticed a leak from where the outdrive is connected to the boat (sorry, I am not that technical). Drip seems to be coming down a dark tubing/hose (see picture - you can actually see the liquid drop). Feels oily (could be gear oil???).
I have 1998 I/O 5.0L V8
Can you help me speculate what could have gone wrong here.

Attachments

• IMG_5133.jpg
    IMG_5133.jpg
    883 KB · Views: 33

tpenfield

Staff member
My outdrives do that too . . . yet in the water they seem fine. That is the oil line. I'm thinking there is a clamp missing on the bell housing side.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
that is the gear oil transfer hose .Usually from old age cracking.
Do not attempt replacement untill you cut the hose first. The transom side fitting is plastic and breaks very easily. Replacement requires steering ram removal to access that area. You can replace the hose by making/creating a razor knife shaft or flattening a 1/4 inch SS rod and grinding a very sharp end.
If is possible to do if your careful

alldodge

Staff member
Agree with BT, but being a 1998 it might be brass fitting, but repair is the same

Owl1981

Recruit
that is the gear oil transfer hose .Usually from old age cracking.
Do not attempt replacement untill you cut the hose first. The transom side fitting is plastic and breaks very easily. Replacement requires steering ram removal to access that area. You can replace the hose by making/creating a razor knife shaft or flattening a 1/4 inch SS rod and grinding a very sharp end.
If is possible to do if your careful
Thank you, BT. I'll probably take a look and see if Im up for a task. how hard is it to remove steering ram?

dubs283

Vice Admiral
how hard is it to remove steering ram?
Not terribly difficult but you don't need to remove the steering actuator to replace the gear lube hose. That is all external from the bilge area.

It was mentioned about the actuator to remind you to be careful when removing the old, damaged hose. The barb on the gimbal housing side is kost likely plastic (unless old enough to be brass as mentioned earlier). If you damage the plastic fitting it's a real treat to replace and removing the actuator can help with access

alldodge

Staff member
Thank you, BT. I'll probably take a look and see if Im up for a task. how hard is it to remove steering ram?
Your leaking on the outside, so start there. By the looks of your boots you may need to replace them also. In any case remove the bell housing to gain access to the hose

Look at the inside hose to see if it also needs replacing and then see if there is enough access

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
Hello,
I winterized my boat (flushed the engine with antifreeze), and shrinkwrapped my boat. I did not replace gear oil (was going to do it in the spring).
We had a few cold days (single digits), and after that I noticed a leak from where the outdrive is connected to the boat (sorry, I am not that technical). Drip seems to be coming down a dark tubing/hose (see picture - you can actually see the liquid drop). Feels oily (could be gear oil???).
I have 1998 I/O 5.0L V8
That old of a boat, I believe it is time to pull drive and replace all hoses and bellows, at least look for cracks. 10 years is about average life here in NW Florida.

ROY WILLIAMS

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello,
I have 1998 I/O 5.0L V8
take the outdrive off also inspect it in the bellows ..inspect the gear oil ..

Last edited: