Merc 75 4 cylinders, 2 carbs

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You like videos.----Find a video that explains the simple procedure to adjust the cables.

flashback

Captain
Geez, I just can't get a break. Now looks like I may need an impeller since it's not peeing at low revs anymore.
Don't despair, it's a learning experience..:)

airshot

Rear Admiral
Geez, I just can't get a break. Now looks like I may need an impeller since it's not peeing at low revs anymore.
Don't despair, it's a learning experience..:)
Welcome to the boating world, "break out another thousand".. You might try flushing out the cooling system to see if there are any clogs, but...in the long run
a new impellor should be the first thing to replace on any motor sitting for a period of time.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Replace impeller, wearplate and the two gaskets that sandwich the wearplate. Inspect the upper pump body for scratches in the stainless steel cup. Replace upper pump if you find that. Inspect the pump base for melting or other defect, and replace it if that is found. Often the pump base driveshaft seal will leak water into the gearcase, so replacing the pump base fixes that as well.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Replace impeller, wearplate and the two gaskets that sandwich the wearplate. Inspect the upper pump body for scratches in the stainless steel cup. Replace upper pump if you find that. Inspect the pump base for melting or other defect, and replace it if that is found. Often the pump base driveshaft seal will leak water into the gearcase, so replacing the pump base fixes that as well.
Agree, whenever I get a motor with an unknown history, I buy a whole water pump kit, replace everything so you know !! Nothing worse than being stuck out on the water or burning up a nice motor because you were to cheap to spend an extra 50 bucks. No one ever claimed boating was a cheap hobby, but when corners are cut, it will cost a whole lot more in the long run !!! A lot more!!

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
I appreciate the input fellows.

Although I'd rather score a free manual, I've purchased a lot of manuals in my life! I've not been able to find a manual for this motor though. All I find are generic books that cover a bunch of diff models. Remind me more of Chiltons than a FSM. If somebody can link me to a manual I'd be much obliged. Merc/Brunswick doesn't seem to have manuals for motors this old. My life would be easier with a manual for sure!

Videos are NOT my thing, but sometimes that's all you can find. Seems the days of people doing write ups is about over. Everyone wants those likes and follows. Actually I often find more helpful info in the comments.

OK, guess I'll hold off on buying an impeller until I tear it apart, but this will likely mean I won't get out on the new boat this year at all. :-(

Are Sierra parts, or generics OK for this or should I stick with Merc? Yes I know some will say always use OMC, but often the aftermarket parts work well for less money. I'm really not "onboard" with this break out another thou school of thought!

airshot

Rear Admiral
I appreciate the input fellows.

Although I'd rather score a free manual, I've purchased a lot of manuals in my life! I've not been able to find a manual for this motor though. All I find are generic books that cover a bunch of diff models. Remind me more of Chiltons than a FSM. If somebody can link me to a manual I'd be much obliged. Merc/Brunswick doesn't seem to have manuals for motors this old. My life would be easier with a manual for sure!

Videos are NOT my thing, but sometimes that's all you can find. Seems the days of people doing write ups is about over. Everyone wants those likes and follows. Actually I often find more helpful info in the comments.

OK, guess I'll hold off on buying an impeller until I tear it apart, but this will likely mean I won't get out on the new boat this year at all. :-(

Are Sierra parts, or generics OK for this or should I stick with Merc? Yes I know some will say always use OMC, but often the aftermarket parts work well for less money. I'm really not "onboard" with this break out another thou school of thought!
As a boat owner, you might as well get used to it !! Once you go thru everything and I mean everything, spending will slow down for a little while until you see some new thing you can't live without which then leads to more new things....welcome to the world of boating !!

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Seloc, and most 3rd Party Service Manuals, are only good for the Outhouse, and certainly not for Reading.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Seloc, and most 3rd Party Service Manuals, are only good for the Outhouse, and certainly not for Reading.
Interesting comment! I often wondered what folks did when they ran out of "slick" Sears Roebuck catalog sheets...........

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Seloc manuals make good knee pads, you can prop the couch corner up with them. However they make terrible toilet paper and worse manuals

You can order new manuals from Mercury dealer

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Seloc manuals make good knee pads, you can prop the couch corner up with them. However they make terrible toilet paper and worse manuals

You can order new manuals from Mercury dealer
They can provide Paper Cuts. Hmm, a Vasectomy from a Seloc Manual

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, pick a service manual from the link below. Make sure the carb is correct, so you can rebuild it properly. Merc made many motors with the same pistons, cylinders and ign systems. The carbs were different. Most everything else was the same for a long time. Your motor was made when changing over from a prev. design was real expensive, they obviously kept stuff the same where they could.

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for the link, but don't believe any of those manuals are for a 2 stroke 4 banger. They're all 4 stroke and 3 cylinders. Not disputing that some of the parts may be the same, but just like with the Seloc books, I don't see these being much good. Since they're digital you can't even wipe your rump with them!

I lucked out and bought the Merc book for $20 on ebay last night, so hopefully the quality of my questions will improve.

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
Gotta love ebay, guy still hasn't shipped. Says he had a cold.....LOL

While I'm waiting wonder if somebody could tell me how the choke works? I know pushing the key in energizes a solenoid, but that's all. Switch was sticky and not working well, but a little shot of WD-40 cured that.

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
Got my manual yesterday! Sure took the scenic route getting here. Unlike the other one which looked like it may have already made a trip to the outhouse, this one is pretty much pristine! I'd sure like to have my boat worked on at a marina which kept their books so nice.

Now I realize why it's so hard to find these digitized for free online. This thing is like 200 pages or more. Guess I'll have plenty of time to read it during the cold months, it's actually snowing today.....Argh! Shiver(ing) Me Timbers!