Marine epoxy/fiberglass in toilet tank?

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Hi all, my sister has an older home that has a very cool art deco bathroom that has some unique fixtures that seem to no longer be available. (She's even checked restoration suppliers.)

The toilet tank has a crack that runs about 8-12" and it sounds like some solution that seals the crack and provides some structural support is needed.

When she mentioned this, my first thought was some sort of marine epoxy with fiberglass inside the tank might work. Any thoughts on how that might work with a ceramic tank?

Thanks for any ideas!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the inside of a ceramic tank is never glazed, so the minerals in the water over the past years will have contaminated the surface.

if you can get the inside surfaces of the tank cleaned, then a reinforced epoxy should work. the key will be to get the ceramic clean enough to eat off it for the epoxy to work.

flashback

Captain
I agree, pressure wash the inside and then wash with CLR etc. Lay up the inside with some light epoxy after filling the crack with epoxy filler, and a layer of glass like a bandaid.
I patched up a small cement fish pond years ago and as far as I know it's still good.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Thanks, guys. My sister's out in Alexandria, VA, so I'm not sure what the local water (and scale build-up) is like. I'll pass along these ideas.

Thanks again!

Jim

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Good chance while doing work the crack will fail completely. Be very careful with the parts and the repair will be to fresh surfaces, then do the interior work.

stresspoint

Ensign
if it is still intact complete and just cracked you may be able to use cyanoacrylate glue (super glue) , once glued use a wire wheel to clean the inside surfaces then brush 5200.

cyanoacrylate glue is use a lot in pottery restorations and is water proof once cured , however , i would just coat the inside as a precaution against future leakage.