Maintenance Grease/Oil

lukecono

Seaman
Hello! I'm in the midst of doing the spring maintenance and was trying to find the proper stuff to use, and all the locations. There are a few I know off the top of my head of Grease Zerks or Nipples, whatever you want to call them. WHAT grease do I use to fill those around the drive? Is the west marine grease gun and trailer lube 3oz grease cartridge good to do? I put the 2-4-c (yellow color) on the cables inside the boat, as well as the steering but unsure if you use that stuff on the fittings. I know a couple zerks are for pivots and then another is for the gimbal bearing. I also heard there's one on the coupler inside the boat but haven't been back there to look. It's a 1984 with a1g1 and a sbc 350. Any help or links to the right stuff for the grease gun would be great!

Also, part 2, does anyone know the correct size oil filter wrench needed for the Quicksilver Oil Filter 866340Q03. There are 3 different size ranges to choose on west marine's site. 2 9/16, 3 1/4, and 2 7/16 inch. ?

Thanks guys!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
you dont say what your working on so buy a new filter and measure it

ROY WILLIAMS

Petty Officer 1st Class
SO the outdrive take it off... did the marine grease u joints and the shaft ...inspected it of the bellows .the drive fitting of the bearing bellows 4 fittings grease .. then the one shaft is that fitting grease 1 ... 5 grease of that bellows ..
the shift cables inside it clean it and the grease ...
the oil filter is the picture / wrench ?

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Hello! I'm in the midst of doing the spring maintenance and was trying to find the proper stuff to use, and all the locations. There are a few I know off the top of my head of Grease Zerks or Nipples, whatever you want to call them. WHAT grease do I use to fill those around the drive? Is the west marine grease gun and trailer lube 3oz grease cartridge good to do? I put the 2-4-c (yellow color) on the cables inside the boat, as well as the steering but unsure if you use that stuff on the fittings. I know a couple zerks are for pivots and then another is for the gimbal bearing. I also heard there's one on the coupler inside the boat but haven't been back there to look. It's a 1984 with a1g1 and a sbc 350. Any help or links to the right stuff for the grease gun would be great!

Also, part 2, does anyone know the correct size oil filter wrench needed for the Quicksilver Oil Filter 866340Q03. There are 3 different size ranges to choose on west marine's site. 2 9/16, 3 1/4, and 2 7/16 inch. ?

Thanks guys!
the 2-4-C is for sliding applications like cables. Rotational - you can use any grease. I have used Lucas red and tacky for many years, any decent grease will work including the west marine you mention.

On a gen one drive you have to remove it to grease the coupler splines and u joints. The later gen 2 drives have a zerc on the coupler.

You may be able to find the filter dimensions on line - same filter fits the small block chevy and inline 4 /6 chevy based engines.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
The V8 takes a larger diameter filter than the V6 does, I think most strap wrenches will fit the filter for the V8. I like the Lisle filter wrench that uses a clamping force. I also have a collection of cap wrenches that fit both the Sierra or Merc/Quicksilver filters for my V6.
Of course, I still have my SBC V8 wrench from 1974, it fits the fuel filter perfectly.
A little trick with the strap wrenches:
get a piece of medium sandpaper and fold it so that the rough side is out on both sides, slip it in between the strap and the filter, it will give extra traction to get a stubborn filter off.
As far as grease, I like Lucas Marine grease, it is a calcium sulfonate base that has better high temp, wear and water resistance ratings than the more common lithium complex greases.

Bondo

Staff member
the 2-4-C is for sliding applications like cables. Rotational - you can use any grease. I have used Lucas red and tacky for many years, any decent grease will work including the west marine you mention.

On a gen one drive you have to remove it to grease the coupler splines and u joints. The later gen 2 drives have a zerc on the coupler.

You may be able to find the filter dimensions on line - same filter fits the small block chevy and inline 4 /6 chevy based engines.
Ayuh,..... I use 2-4-C for bushing type bearings, 'n plain ole chassis gun grease for any bearing that have balls, or rollers, or needles,....

Last edited:

lukecono

Seaman

Thank you for the input! Helped for sure!

lukecono

Seaman
The V8 takes a larger diameter filter than the V6 does, I think most strap wrenches will fit the filter for the V8. I like the Lisle filter wrench that uses a clamping force. I also have a collection of cap wrenches that fit both the Sierra or Merc/Quicksilver filters for my V6.
Of course, I still have my SBC V8 wrench from 1974, it fits the fuel filter perfectly.
A little trick with the strap wrenches:
get a piece of medium sandpaper and fold it so that the rough side is out on both sides, slip it in between the strap and the filter, it will give extra traction to get a stubborn filter off.
As far as grease, I like Lucas Marine grease, it is a calcium sulfonate base that has better high temp, wear and water resistance ratings than the more common lithium complex greases.
Thanks a lot Lou!

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I use ones like these exclusively. They work where others slip. Who cares if you bend the old filter, it’s getting tossed anyway.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
this model comes in different sizes and is good in limited spaces like a boat bilge with the SBC Chevy filter standard mount way at the back....
an old pic of my engine when I still had the OMC batwings on it....

Attachments

• Marine oil filter 1.jpg
    Marine oil filter 1.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 8

nola mike

Vice Admiral
One other thing with the greases--they aren't all compatible with each other. I've done a deep dive on this in the past but forget the specifics. Fwiw my conclusion was that the Walmart marine grease and multi duty complex grease were the ones to use. I follow @Bondo recs on when to use what, and subscribe to his sig in general...

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
There are grease compatibility charts out there, if you really don't have any idea, I think a lithium complex grease is about the most commonly used, but the only way, is to clean out what is in there, to eliminate all doubt.
I started using Lucas Marine which is a calcium sulfonate grease, it is compatible with lithium complex, but is better for wear and water resistance.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
There is technically no such classification as “marine grease”.

Different applications require different grease formulations. Arguably the best grease in marine wheel bearing application (water resistant and high drop temp) is calcium sulphonate.

For applications with direct exposure to water (steering rods, pivot bushing, etc.) you want a “waterproof” grease with high washout resistance.

Ive tried several and keep coming back to BRP Triple Guard grease. By far the tackiest, most water proof grease I’ve ever used. It stays where you put it….
Johnson/Evinrude 0508298 Triple Guard Marine Grease - 8 oz

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
There is technically no such classification as “marine grease”.

Different applications require different grease formulations. Arguably the best grease in marine wheel bearing application (water resistance, high drop temp) is calcium sulphonate.

For applications with direct exposure to water (steering rods, pivot bearings, etc.) you want a waterproof grease with high resistance with high washout resistance water exposure is grease for wheel bearings (water resistance with high drop temp) is not the best

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
The Lucas Marine grease I use is calcium sulfonate. I do still use the OMC/Evinrude triple guard on certain things.