Looking for a light, all around anchor

undercover500

Seaman Apprentice
I wasn't implying that your setup would be hard to retrieve, but rather that all that chain really didn't reduce the total weight.

Unless I put out my stern anchor, at times I swing as well. I solved half of the swing by installing a center bow mounted chock to guide the anchor line. V-Hull boats often swing if the anchor is tied to a side cleat.

Glad you're happy with your anchor. The test now is to try it under all conditions.
We do have a secondary anchor, just a 12lb river anchor (like a mushroom but it has 3 spades, if you will), tied to the stern, or on other front side cleat would probably help to eliminate the swing.

We mainly just wanted to test out the baby anchor by itself, run it through it's paces. In the future if we swing that much, I'd probably toss the river off the stern just to keep us mostly in place, especially if there's other boats around. Even when it was just us it was kind of annoying, I'm looking this way, now I'm looking that way, hey, there's the other side of the lake lol.

undercover500

Seaman Apprentice
If you count with a fluke anchor that doesn't have an installed ring which is helpfull to reverse the anchor to the opposite side when at a severe anchor stuck a non ringed anchor will work fine installing a shackle to the rope for reversing purposes to freed the anchor fast and reliable....

Happy Boating
I'm thinking of drilling a hole near the top of the middle section of the anchor, fastening the shackle there and then zip tying the chain to the bottom, as a break away.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
I'm thinking of drilling a hole near the top of the middle section of the anchor, fastening the shackle there and then zip tying the chain to the bottom, as a break away.
Post a pic of the anchor lying flat against a floor to have an overall idea about you want to do...

Happy Boating

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
5kg Bruce anchor and about 15ft of good chain on the bottom works so well for my 18 and 19ft boats

undercover500

Seaman Apprentice
Post a pic of the anchor lying flat against a floor to have an overall idea about you want to do...

Happy Boating

Not my anchor but there are many people with this same idea. Basically the chain is fastened at the top and then held in place, like normal, with zip ties. The anchor will work in the standard fashion, but should it get caught or hung up upon retrieval, yanking on it while it's stuck will break the zip ties and allow you to pull from the top/other side to retrieve it.

1652472377261.png

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Not my anchor but there are many people with this same idea. Basically the chain is fastened at the top and then held in place, like normal, with zip ties. The anchor will work in the standard fashion, but should it get caught or hung up upon retrieval, yanking on it while it's stuck will break the zip ties and allow you to pull from the top/other side to retrieve it.

View attachment 360386
Clever idea. But in my neck of the woods, with current and wind, those zip ties wouldn't get me thru a day.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
People use light duty line (1/4" cotton) instead of zip ties. Whatever you use, have more of it on board, just in case you need to anchor again.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Box Anchor
A box anchor is an excellent choice for you if you are looking for a light all around anchor. You can get by without a chain on the anchor rode and they fold relatively flat for storage. They grab very well in most conditions and mine has never caught on any submerged tree or rock that I could not free it from without too much effort. I use mine on a 21' boat. It should work on an 19' without issue. They are not the cheapest but for me it is the best type.