Looking at buying a 2006 Bayliner Cierra 2455 that has seen better days at auction with an eye to restore it. Not sure what to look for.

Cheri J.

Recruit
Hi!
Am looking at a 2006 Bayliner Cierra 2455 selling at an estate auction. It looks like it's been sitting on its trailer for quite a while and not covered. I have restored an old sailboat but never a motorboat. Have read some things about what to look for but it all seems to be geared towards boats presently being used and in the water. Am guessing it will need a ton of work so am hoping to get it at a good price - assuming it can be salvaged. boat 3.jpegboat 2.jpegboat 1.jpeg

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Caption in photo says mercruiser but one picture clearly shows a cobra drive.

Your offer should include them paying you for removal

jbcurt00

Staff member
Run don't walk

You want no part of that derelict craft

briangcc

Commander
I don't think that's an '06 based on the text in the pic saying it's an '88.

I'm a Bayliner guy but even I couldn't be convinced to take that on. I'm wagering everything, and I mean everything below deck is coming out - including whatever remnants are in the cuddy, and it's all gotta be rebuilt. I would assume the engine is an anchor as well sitting any number of years unused.

I'd keep looking and up your budget...dramatically...to get something water ready.

Or in other words....Run Forest Run!

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Hi!
Am looking at a 2006 Bayliner Cierra 2455 selling at an estate auction. It looks like it's been sitting on its trailer for quite a while and not covered. I have restored an old sailboat but never a motorboat. Have read some things about what to look for but it all seems to be geared towards boats presently being used and in the water. Am guessing it will need a ton of work so am hoping to get it at a good price - assuming it can be salvaged. View attachment 396278View attachment 396279View attachment 396280
read the restoration forums on floor, stringer and transom replacement. Even if these were good you should be getting it for free vs them disposing of it.

roffey

Commander
if its a cobra, I don't think they were still being sold in 2006? I agree with most here, the boat looks sketchy.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
boat is a 1988. it will cost more to fix than its worth.

also, it has a 305 cubic inch motor, not a 305hp motor

three things that say run:
  • its a 1980's bayliner
  • its OMC powered
  • it has sat outside for a long time
it will cost you about $3000 to fix the hull, about another $2500 in upholstery, about $2000 in the cabin, and if you are lucky, about $2000 for the motor and drive to get it going, not to mention about a year of your life

it will be worth about $2000 when its all restored.

tpenfield

Staff member
As stated, looks to be a 1988 and the engine/outdrive are obsolete as the company OMC went out of business 25 years ago. I would expect that the boat will need a new transom, engine mount stringers and perhaps the forward bulkhead. Bayliners of that era were real bottom of the barrel in terms of build quality. Although the boat is fiberglass, the structure (ie. 'bones') are wood and subject to rot.

Not sure what you are considering as restoration, but this boat might be on the high end of the spectrum. It will be a labor of love and probably cost $10K+ in material and components.

flashback

Captain
As stated, if you have deep pockets and are a glutton for punishment have at it.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Looking at buying a 2006 Bayliner Cierra 2455 that has seen better days at auction with an eye to restore it. Not sure what to look for.​

Not sure what to look for??? I recommend look for a different boat.Charlie

Cheri J.

Recruit
Thank you all for the input! I restored a sail boat years ago and it was a great project. Will look for a newer boat in better shape to purchase. Thanks again!

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Thank you all for the input! I restored a sail boat years ago and it was a great project. Will look for a newer boat in better shape to purchase. Thanks again!
Not necessarily a newer boat.....just a better quality boat. Bayliner is a very low end boat , not very valuable at all ,regardless of condition. Engines and drives should not be a discontinued brand for obvious reasons. Brands like SeaRay , Regal , Wellcraft , Formula, Chriscraft , Silverton would be a much better choice. Drives and engines of Mercruiser brand would be a much better choice as everything is still available and I mean EVERYTHING.
Just my opinion and the direction I would veer towards .Charlie

rustybronco

Petty Officer 2nd Class
$50. Salvage the metals, scrap the hull, sell the trailer. That is if it doesn't cost more $100 to scrap the hull.

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
2006 Bayliner won't be a problem depending on the reason for a salvage title. Merc or VP drive line and no structural problems with late 90's or newer

jbcurt00

Staff member
2006 Bayliner won't be a problem depending on the reason for a salvage title. Merc or VP drive line and no structural problems with late 90's or newer
Pix are of a much older than 2006 bayliner as previously mentioned

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Yea, saw the pics, but someone keeps mentioning 2006