Limp mode

unbtabl

Seaman
I’ve got a 99 Larson 226 LXI with the tbi 305. Does this year model have “limp mode” built in? I’ve replaced all ignition components, both fuel pumps, and injectors. All Volvo penta branded. The motor will rev good on the ears, but will not get over 8-9 mph on the water. As I give it gas, if bogs down and backfires.

alldodge

Staff member
The motor is a 5.0 what (Gsi, Gi, other)?

Did the motor ever run ok?

How is the compression?

What is timing set at, and does it advance as rpm increases?

What is the fuel pressure?

unbtabl

Seaman
The motor is a 5.0 what (Gsi, Gi, other)?

Did the motor ever run ok?

How is the compression?

What is timing set at, and does it advance as rpm increases?

What is the fuel pressure?
It’s a gi pwtr
I bought the boat with this condition thinking I could get it figured out. It fires right up and idles great.

8 degrees
Compression is good at around 150 per cylinder
7 psi on low pump, 51 on high pump

alldodge

Staff member
If your ECM is a MEFI-4 then there is a power reduction mode that does not let rpm's go above 2500. MEFI-3 does not

I'm seeing part numbers but I'm unable to determine if it's a MEFI 3 or 4
Replaced by

unbtabl

Seaman
If your ECM is a MEFI-4 then there is a power reduction mode that does not let rpm's go above 2500. MEFI-3 does not

I'm seeing part numbers but I'm unable to determine if it's a MEFI 3 or 4
Replaced by
Not to sound like a dummy, but I’m a dummy when it comes to boat motors… where can I find the ecm on these?

alldodge

Staff member
It's on top of the motor and looks like the middle one. Look on the back side for a part number

GM-MEFI.jpg

unbtabl

Seaman
I’ll take a look shortly. If it is a mefi 4, is there a way to trick it into seeing oil pressure?
Thank you for your help on that

unbtabl

Seaman
I’ll take a look shortly. If it is a mefi 4, is there a way to trick it into seeing oil pressure?
I’m grasping at straws because I’ve replaced everything that normally causes this issue. My oil pressure gauge isn’t showing pressure… so, I’m thinking the sending unit is bad causing the ecm to go into limp mode

alldodge

Staff member
Would need to check for codes. Can check by using a digital multimeter with a tone built in, or a 12V resistor LED

Put meter or LED across pins E and F of the DLC connector (on top motor near ECM with a cap on it). Put paper clip or other wire across A and B. Turn key ON (do not start) and count flashes. Flash, pause, flash, flash, etc

DLC with LED code reader.jpg

I’m grasping at straws because I’ve replaced everything that normally causes this issue. My oil pressure gauge isn’t showing pressure… so, I’m thinking the sending unit is bad causing the ecm to go into limp mode
The oil gauge uses a sender which has nothing to do with the ECM. There is another sender which does not go to the gauge but does go to ECM. Both senders are normally connected together with a Tee fitting, on the block next to where remote oil filter is connected

Have you verified oil pressure with a mechanical hand held gauge?

Reactions: muc

unbtabl

Seaman
Would need to check for codes. Can check by using a digital multimeter with a tone built in, or a 12V resistor LED

Put meter or LED across pins E and F of the DLC connector (on top motor near ECM with a cap on it). Put paper clip or other wire across A and B. Turn key ON (do not start) and count flashes. Flash, pause, flash, flash, etc

View attachment 380166

The oil gauge uses a sender which has nothing to do with the ECM. There is another sender which does not go to the gauge but does go to ECM. Both senders are normally connected together with a Tee fitting, on the block next to where remote oil filter is connected

I haven’t yet. We got all of what’s listed replaced and took it out yesterday to find it doing the same thing. Thank you for all the info. I’ll start looking at those things today

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
Note that the ECM receives inputs for limp mode from both temperature and oil SWITCHES, not sensors. The switches open at high coolant temp or low oil pressure. Find the switches and ground each connector to the block to determine which is one not closing at normal temps/pressures.

unbtabl

Seaman

View attachment 380166

Only code it flashed was 12.

alldodge

Staff member
MAP sensor will not put motor in limp mode

BTW when you set the timing did you jump pins A and B to put it in base timing mode?

unbtabl

Seaman
MAP sensor will not put motor in limp mode

BTW when you set the timing did you jump pins A and B to put it in base timing mode?
I think it’s the mefi 3 based off of the info I can find. This is all the info that was on the tag. So, I pulled up the parts on Volvo penta site based off of the engine info… it said it came with 3, but is replaced with 4 when needing replacement. This includes an added harness to make the change. I paid a shop to check timing as I was unsure how to do so on these boats. I’m just grasping at any straw at this point. It’ll rev to any rpm on the ears… just not under a load on the water.

Attachments

• EAB0D763-CE3A-4A90-ACC4-E9E479E54018.jpeg
    EAB0D763-CE3A-4A90-ACC4-E9E479E54018.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1

alldodge

Staff member
MEFI 3 no power reduction
Need fuel pressure reading
Would also be good to know if the timing is advancing as rpm's increase, need timing light

unbtabl

Seaman
MEFI 3 no power reduction
Need fuel pressure reading
Would also be good to know if the timing is advancing as rpm's increase, need timing light
Would I check the timing advancing under load or can it be done on ears? I’m 2 hours from a body of water big enough

alldodge

Staff member
Ears are fine, point light at balancer and increase rpm. See how much it does