Just won't start anymore

Smill

Recruit
Hi hope some one can point me in right direction.
purchased a Glastron GLX a few months ago with a volvo penta 4.3 inboard. All went well until it didn't, gauges would all start acting erratically, then power would die then suddenly would spring back to life again and be good then same thing would happen. Though the frequency of this happened to the point where she just won't start. At the point where I turn the ignition to see gauges come on and they will for a few seconds then all goes dead.
Have just given here a routine service changed all the filters, plugs and oils and new battery. Also changed out the ignition barrel as issue seemed to point to there but problem still remains. There is 5 CBs in total, 2 that are inline with ignition I also shorted these out and nothing.

Dont really want to send her to the boat shop so any advice would be greatly received.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Start at the battery, clean all connections shiny clean. Move on to the starter, grounds at the back of the block, and any connection you can find. let us know the results.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Advise you try to fine a wiring diagram for your model this will help with tracking down where the problem is. Start with checking the battery connections both at the battery and at the starter solenoid & engine ground (stud on bell housing behind starboard exhaust hoses). With the battery do not use wing nuts use self locking nuts, if you see green corrosion on the strands of the battery cables replace them. Wing nuts get loose easily. I use marine grade battery clamps on ours.
Next check all the fuses for oxidation and the terminals on the back of the ignition switch. Last the large cannon connector in the engine harness can get loose so carefully pulling this apart cleaning the terminals and coating the rubber casing with dielectric grease helps. I put a hose clamp on mine to keep it from getting loose.
One year I had your exact problem. I checked ALL of the above with the exception of the fuses. What I found was oxidation on the ignition circuit fuse, replaced all the old glass fuses and back to normal! The symptoms were the tilt n trim worked but no gauges & no engine crank. Simple solution. DC electricity is very susceptible to high resistance connections.

kenny nunez

Captain
Also look under the instrument panel and touch each wire terminal to check for a loose terminal connections at the gauges and ignition switch.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
classic dirty or bad connection somewhere

as stated, start at the battery and work your way up to the helm cleaning every connection so it is shiny and clean enough your mother in law would eat christmas dinner off of it. then seal ever connection with marine electrical varnish.

that includes:
battery terminals
battery cable lugs
block surfaces
starter motor connection
circuit breaker terminals
big connector terminals and pins at the motor
the key switch terminals
the ground buss terminals

Smill

Recruit
Hi everyone

Thanks very much for the advice, will get onto all of that tomorrow and hopefully this corrects the issue.
Will let you know how it goes.

Happy sailing

Smill

Recruit
Hi all

So started the morning where you all suggested at the beginning, first thing i opened was the main fuse holder coming off the positive battery terminal. Was rotten, put a meter on it and went 2 ohms to OL sporadically, slaved in new holder and new fuse and boom all systems firing on all cylinders first time, all gauges rock solid.

Big thanks to you all for taking the time to give me sound advice hopefully can return the favour sometime.

Have a great season all

Attachments

• 20211223_114323.jpg
    20211223_114323.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if one connection was bad, there are others.

Hi hope some one can point me in right direction.
purchased a Glastron GLX a few months ago with a volvo penta 4.3 inboard. All went well until it didn't, gauges would all start acting erratically, then power would die then suddenly would spring back to life again and be good then same thing would happen. Though the frequency of this happened to the point where she just won't start. At the point where I turn the ignition to see gauges come on and they will for a few seconds then all goes dead.
Have just given here a routine service changed all the filters, plugs and oils and new battery. Also changed out the ignition barrel as issue seemed to point to there but problem still remains. There is 5 CBs in total, 2 that are inline with ignition I also shorted these out and nothing.

Dont really want to send her to the boat shop so any advice would be greatly received.

#1 Is your battery any good? A simple voltage drop test is an easy way to isolate your problem. If your Batt tests good just follow your main circuits and it will be obvious. Even new batteries can be bad.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Agreed I'd take out each fuse make sure they are not oxidized, and look carefully at all battery terminals and connections including those at the starter solenoid and engine ground stud. Make sure that the large cannon connector is not loose that is a common source of intermittent electrical issues. Eventually when I get around to it I'm going to change my fuse box over to the new style blade fuses.

PaulinSWFL

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all

So started the morning where you all suggested at the beginning, first thing i opened was the main fuse holder coming off the positive battery terminal. Was rotten, put a meter on it and went 2 ohms to OL sporadically, slaved in new holder and new fuse and boom all systems firing on all cylinders first time, all gauges rock solid.

Big thanks to you all for taking the time to give me sound advice hopefully can return the favour sometime.

Have a great season all
Nice. Good find. I do agree that where there is one, there is another. Keep looking at all the others.