Just bought this Snowblower ,Good,bad ??

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Just picked up this for just over $100.I know ZERO about Snowblowers.How did I do? Craftsman 26" 9hp Tecumsa motor starts on 2nd pull and runs smoothly.(has elect start too) Everything seems to work/engage as it should.6 fwd speeds and 2 reverse.I will attach some pics. Charlie

Attachments

• snowblower 9hp top shroud.jpg
    snowblower 9hp top shroud.jpg
    698.7 KB · Views: 18
  • craftsman 9hp side.jpg
    craftsman 9hp side.jpg
    1,003 KB · Views: 18
  • craftsman 9hp front.jpg
    craftsman 9hp front.jpg
    416.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Snowblower 9hpCraftsman.pdf
    4.2 MB · Views: 1

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Change the engine oil.-----Inspect add grease to the worm drive for auger.----Then pray for " no snow " for a few more weeks.

matt167

Captain
The old Tech snow king engines were good.. what is the model number? The first 3 digits tells what manufacturer built it for Sears

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Also for YouTube channels donyboy73 is excellent

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
The old Tech snow king engines were good.. what is the model number? The first 3 digits tells what manufacturer built it for Sears
Thanks Matt,I thought a Tecumsa engine was a Tecumsa engine..?? I have had unbelievable reliability anything Tecumsa and also Kohler(my mower) Charlie

Attachments

• snowblower 9hp tag.jpg
    snowblower 9hp tag.jpg
    625.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Change the engine oil.-----Inspect add grease to the worm drive for auger.----Then pray for " no snow " for a few more weeks.
Thats my exact plan for servicing it.Im gonna need to pray for months instead of weeks though.On LI we usually dont see snow until Jan but sometimes in Dec.Charlie

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Neighbor had a machine like that.-------Auger stopped turning.----On inspection I found nothing but bronze powder in the worm housing.------Folks today just do not inspect / maintain stuff anymore.

bassman284

Commander
Neighbor had a machine like that.-------Auger stopped turning.----On inspection I found nothing but bronze powder in the worm housing.------Folks today just do not inspect / maintain stuff anymore.
Yup, you can bust just about anything if you set your mind to it.

matt167

Captain
Lol....That sounds like a scientific approach to "lube is lube" Charlie

Do this if the gear case leaks a little. Won't hurt a thing. It is done all the time with Troy Bilt rototillers where the axle seals can weep, or 00 grease, which is barely a fluid.

It should be noted, that some of these take grease, and some take gear oil

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Do this if the gear case leaks a little. Won't hurt a thing. It is done all the time with Troy Bilt rototillers where the axle seals can weep, or 00 grease, which is barely a fluid.

It should be noted, that some of these take grease, and some take gear oil
Checked gear case which externally is in excellent condition.No sign of any leaking or weeping.Removed threaded the plug and nothing came out .I put a small screwdriver in the hole and it appears to be filled with white lithium grease.I am planning on getting an aerosol can of white Lithium grease and spraying some into the fill/drain hole unless someone tells me differently.Charlie

matt167

Captain
Checked gear case which externally is in excellent condition.No sign of any leaking or weeping.Removed threaded the plug and nothing came out .I put a small screwdriver in the hole and it appears to be filled with white lithium grease.I am planning on getting an aerosol can of white Lithium grease and spraying some into the fill/drain hole unless someone tells me differently.Charlie
It is probably a lithium grease, however I wouldn't use spray lithium, not because it won't work ( it will ) but because white lithium grease is available in tubes and would be much cheaper in the long run, and it would pump full pretty easy

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
The main thing with these machines is not storing them with old gas. Mine all get used every season but something like a snow blower it’s possible that we get no snow or not enough to even run it through a tank of gas. So it might be worth draining the tank and filling with fresh stabilized fuel; then run it dry and/or drain the carb come spring. Here on Long Island there are only a couple of gas stations where you can get straight gas with no ethanol. Otherwise you can use Trufuel or similar to avoid ethanol problems.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Thanks guys,I will prob go with spray can as I have no other use for white lithium grease in a tube .I only use marine grease or red Lucas sticky grease on everything I own.From what I have seen so far this unit has been professionally serviced properly and not really used at all so I couldnt be happier!!. As far as fuel ,I have a formula that has never failed me if I happen to have something motorized that has some old fuel in it.I mix 1 gallon of gas with 8oz of Sea foam and 8 oz of Chemtool and add it to the old fuel.Never fails me.However I like to run things dry before I store them.Charlie

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Here is what the manual stated under "AUGER GEAR BOX"The auger gear box is lubricated at the factory and should not require additional lubrication. If for some reason the lubricant should leak out, have auger gear case checked by a competent repairman. "